DCI.org: Delayed starts, no uniforms & no scores for both of tonight's Texas shows.

Just now, Precious Roy said:

They may say they don't invest in snow equipment due to its rarity -- but snow is not actually rare in north Georgia (or north Alabama, where I now live). Relatively infrequent?  Sure. But we get some measurable snow most years than not. Since 1980, Atlanta has officially had measurable snow in 26 years, and not had measurable snow in 11 years. 

They really should invest more into it. I remember seeing Atlanta get shut down from some ice rain a couple years ago if I'm remembering correctly and it was terrible

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

They really should invest more into it.

Probably. But I suspect its a whole "cost/benefit" thing. It may still be cheaper to shut down a city (even with all the implied losses of sales, productivity, etc) than to "invest" in snow/ice mitigation that only affects an area (at most) a couple times a year.

2 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

Probably. But I suspect its a whole "cost/benefit" thing. It may still be cheaper to shut down a city (even with all the implied losses of sales, productivity, etc) than to "invest" in snow/ice mitigation that only affects an area (at most) a couple times a year.

As the resident weather expert of DCP, I'm sure you're a lot more knowledgeable on this subject than I am :satisfied:

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

That's quite the extrapolation. I love snow itself. I hate having to drive in it and yes, it is indeed a battle to use any vehicle in the south when it snows because of how poorly equipped the state government is to handle it. 

Btw, Cornell University has one of the highest rates of suicide and depression in the country. Part of the reason is because of the academic rigor of course, but also its isolated location, and dreary weather which includes excessive snowfall. Seasonal depression is a real thing and is often found in states with especially long winters :sad:

yes, Cornell averages 12 suicides a year jumping from the bridge over the gorge. Studies have shown here in NY that most of these suicides have been from a combination of drinking and drugs with being dumped by a girlfriend or significant boyfriend.  The depression comment also comes from the professional literature of sociology and psychology/counselling. The power thirsty comment was from the studies done on MBA grad students in the Massachusetts area.  You neglect one part of the scientific horizon by omitting the sociology of how many Southerners have fled the northern winters to make their dream life happen down South, the land of insects.hurricanes/and hellish heat. Ask the mms if they would prefer the northern climes.

Edited by xandandl

Oh who could forget the snowstorm in Atlanta.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-buford-calloway/n45830

I assume this link is ok because it's on NBC's website.  Quote me if I'm wrong and I'll remove.

Edited by TheClutch