Sign in to follow this  
kdaddy

the REAL ending

Recommended Posts

Guys, what are some anecdotes on when corps put in their final ending in recent years?  I never remember these things. Also, can you comment on how substantial of a change it was? 

Do we think the ending we saw from Boston in Belton last night is the final product? Seems a little early...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some corps have performed many different endings during a season.  How many times did 1989 Cadets change their ending?  It's not over 'til it's over...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actual question, did DCI implement a rule that you can't change the ending after Quarters? I seem to remember Finals Night being the night that shows got their final finish, like BD only marched off the field in 04 at Finals. I don't think I've seen that in a long time. I also seem to remember shots from Semis being used in the video editing when needed, and wondered if that might be the reason for the rule, if it exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ouooga said:

Actual question, did DCI implement a rule that you can't change the ending after Quarters? I seem to remember Finals Night being the night that shows got their final finish, like BD only marched off the field in 04 at Finals. I don't think I've seen that in a long time. I also seem to remember shots from Semis being used in the video editing when needed, and wondered if that might be the reason for the rule, if it exists.

When I saw video of Music City entering the field first thing that came to mind was 04 DB leaving the field in the same manner.

Back on-topic - How much of an ending needs to change before it is considered a 'new' ending?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ouooga said:

Actual question, did DCI implement a rule that you can't change the ending after Quarters? I seem to remember Finals Night being the night that shows got their final finish, like BD only marched off the field in 04 at Finals. I don't think I've seen that in a long time. I also seem to remember shots from Semis being used in the video editing when needed, and wondered if that might be the reason for the rule, if it exists.

I doubt there's any sort of rule on that.   If there was, we would've seen it after 82 SCV.

 

They just save something new for finals night sometimes.  Wasn't the BD diamond thing at the very end finals only?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned in the show thread the idea that they might leave by the far back tunnel in Lucas Oil (ala Phantom's exit in 2010).    I could totally see that happening with a 'ship' appearing off the coast (since that's the coast line side with the tarp).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on what is working. The Cadets in 2011 did not change their ending visually all season. They tweaked a few things musically but visually they had what worked. 

Other years a corps may go through 3 or 4 endings. They may start the season with a temp, then expand that idea to get them through July while they clean and edit other parts of the show, and finally they will work to put in the best ending. 

Most will tell you that Blue Devils 2015 would not have won had they not put in a new ending. That was one of the flaws with that show and they had tried 2 or 3 up to finals. 

It's a roll of the dice. Are you clean enough to experiment with different endings? If not you may hurt your ability to fully clean the show. And there is always the chance that the new ending makes the show worse. We have seen that on numerous occasions. Cadets 2014 and 2015 come to mind. Last year however Cadets really got the closer right and it became a highlight to their program. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

It all depends on what is working. The Cadets in 2011 did not change their ending visually all season. They tweaked a few things musically but visually they had what worked. 

Other years a corps may go through 3 or 4 endings. They may start the season with a temp, then expand that idea to get them through July while they clean and edit other parts of the show, and finally they will work to put in the best ending. 

Most will tell you that Blue Devils 2015 would not have won had they not put in a new ending. That was one of the flaws with that show and they had tried 2 or 3 up to finals. 

It's a roll of the dice. Are you clean enough to experiment with different endings? If not you may hurt your ability to fully clean the show. And there is always the chance that the new ending makes the show worse. We have seen that on numerous occasions. Cadets 2014 and 2015 come to mind. Last year however Cadets really got the closer right and it became a highlight to their program. 

I disagree about Cadets 2015 ending making the show worse. That was the most impressive and high energy part of the show. That is one that got people on their feet. It may not have been perfectly clean visually, but it was very effective. I will agree about 2014 though. The tarps were just too much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I disagree about Cadets 2015 ending making the show worse. That was the most impressive and high energy part of the show. That is one that got people on their feet. It may not have been perfectly clean visually, but it was very effective. I will agree about 2014 though. The tarps were just too much.

You have a point. I guess I was more disappointed in the uni change to black, the poor theme for such an awesome music ensemble, and the z-pull didn't work as well to me. I thought the ending they had at Southwest Regional was the ending they should stayed with. I really thought that was the show to win that year but certain people found a way to wreck it. But in general I think you're right, the ending was still pretty awesome. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.