Has Audience Culture Changed?

I'm new here so I'm just genuinely curious if anyone agrees, but it seems like watching older videos ('00-'12) there are many instances when the corps would have audiences up and cheering maybe even before the last hit. Now I'm usually disappointed by the lack of excitement in audiences and feel like the standing ovations at the end are weaker and come out of obligation. Does anyone agree and maybe know what has changed? Am I crazy? (please feel free to tell me)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the audience. Usually at Indy the standing ovations begin before the end of a closer 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To some degree, it might be because of difficulty to connect with the theme of a show.  It's getting harder and harder on some of these to understand the theme.  Blue Knights are a prime example.  If you don't understand the ancient Egyptian mythology behind it, you won't get the show.  Mandarins to some degree, Genesis, Phantom, and Colts as well.  On the other end of the spectrum, Boston, Music City, Crown, Academy, and Blue Stars are all easily engaging.  I like every show out of World Class this year, but I've studied them all and get them in a way a one time spectator who hasn't studied them won't be able to.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Last nights crowd was horrible. 

Enough said.

Asked the guy sitting next to me during the Top 6 “what more do these people want?” It’s the best and most competitive field we’ve seen in years and people were sitting on their hands. On the 50 and no reaction whatsoever to soooo many moments that should’ve had people cheering and standing.

Sorry Texas, after three shows have not been impressed.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Performances in the previous century were programmed for crowd reactions. When Michael Cesario was program director with the Cadets in the mid-80's, he'd actually write on the show script and music book: "And the crowd goes Wild!!!" (Saw it myself several times.)

This century, shows have become "art" and we don't interrupt the artist until the program is completed. Might miss those subtle electronic voice-overs thrown at us, the suicide that occurs on the back forty, the hanging on the lower front, or the stark silence the "artistic director" wants us to "experience" in isolation and solitary bleakness in his black clad doom-and-gloom dark shows that have become too common.  Case of major depression at work if you ask me.

And this is how and why Bluecoats (and to a much lesser degree Academy) have taken the activity by storm in the last five seasons. Other corps could learn something from them (Scouts I’m looking at you!).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

On the 50 and no reaction whatsoever to soooo many moments that should’ve had people cheering and standing

I may have been one of them in the past because of my musical tastes, no fault of anyone besides myself. I still hung in there went to local shows and came to Indy, that's what we do. At one time I thought dci may be experiencing the same fate as the Big Bands that finessed themselves out of an audience. Not so anymore for the last several years for me the shows are pulling back to the middle, with something for everyone, fans howling again (maybe that never stopped but did for me). That's just my take from someone who has gone to almost as many Grateful Dead Concerts as drum corps shows. I like what I like and like it that way (Jerry Garcia),

17 minutes ago, modonn said:

To some degree, it might be because of difficulty to connect with the theme of a show.  It's getting harder and harder on some of these to understand the theme.  Blue Knights are a prime example.  If you don't understand the ancient Egyptian mythology behind it, you won't get the show.  Mandarins to some degree, Genesis, Phantom, and Colts as well.  On the other end of the spectrum, Boston, Music City, Crown, Academy, and Blue Stars are all easily engaging.  I like every show out of World Class this year, but I've studied them all and get them in a way a one time spectator who hasn't studied them won't be able to.  

The internet culture has changed the drum corps experience. In the past you would likely see a show one time all year. Now shows have to be designed to evolve over the season or you risk “peaking too early.” As a result you have esoteric and dark themes that lend themselves more to introspection rather than a one time show experience. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

On the 50 and no reaction whatsoever

One more thing I think we will find video proof of that occurring on the Jacksonville dvd. Think Star won with Medea (sp) the cameras scanned the mid-section of the crowd after Star's performance and only one person was standing. I happen to know him (great guy) but when we get together I am still trying to get out of him what substance he was on that night. 

40 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Last nights crowd was horrible. 

Enough said.

Asked the guy sitting next to me during the Top 6 “what more do these people want?” It’s the best and most competitive field we’ve seen in years and people were sitting on their hands. On the 50 and no reaction whatsoever to soooo many moments that should’ve had people cheering and standing.

Sorry Texas, after three shows have not been impressed.

If you drink the koolaid long enough, you too will be enthralled by the king's fine invisible robes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3