Has Audience Culture Changed?

For better or worse, my viewing experience with DCI corps this year will be limited to the 15 corps I'll see at the "prelims at the movies" night in August.

It will be interesting to see how many shows I "get" on first viewing, and how many leave me wondering about what the heck I just saw.  LOL.

• Haha 2

I get what you are saying. Nothing against WGI but these shows are VERY WGI in the way they are performed. Body movement....that voicing that you see in WGI shows. There is no actual great brass showcase. It's all mic'd and hollow sounding. I wanna hear great brass sounds. It's all mic'd.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, afd said:

I get what you are saying. Nothing against WGI but these shows are VERY WGI in the way they are performed. Body movement....that voicing that you see in WGI shows. There is no actual great brass showcase. It's all mic'd and hollow sounding. I wanna hear great brass sounds. It's all mic'd.

WGI or just progression.

16 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

WGI or just progression.

if it were just progression and not WGI dictates, why have DCI corps not fielded other approaches than just WGI?

I think you have drunk so of the  WGI koolaid that you can't experience other possible tastes.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

if it were just progression and not WGI dictates, why have DCI corps not fielded other approaches than just WGI?

I think you have drunk so of the  WGI koolaid that you can't experience other possible tastes.

Not at all, the point is WGI, DCI DCA, BOA,, is all pretty much the same people.It's only natural things would start to blend over which has been going on for decades.

As far as other tastes, you couldn't be more wrong. One can also twist that and say some are so encrusted with their own ideas of what any of those places should be that they ( as you say ) can't experience other possible tastes.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Don't the themes pull from multiple sources?

For examples, SCV has a dance that pull from some hip hop (or hbcu).  Ballet and other dance are factored into choreography. Did BD's haireography come from WGI?  Were the Samurai movements from 08 Cavaliers WGI based?

I think today's corps are more of an artistic mashup than ever before.

Edited by TheClutch
Typos
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, afd said:

All? 

Crown doesn't have a great brass sound? You must have not heard them do the Bruckner.

Edited by TheClutch

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Funny. I was at the show yesterday and the first corps to get a rousing Standing O (and before their show was done) were the Colts

And they moved up!

If you ask me,  the whole country is in a funk of disengaged, demoralized, depressed, emotional fog.  Hard to get many excited or involved in much of anything, but their own little me me  phone world.... say nothing about being engaged and feeling anything at a drum corps show.  Sad really.  Hopefully, the ice will break one of these days.  I specifically go to shows that have a history of good crowds.  Be dammed with the rest of the crowd, I stand up and cheer regardless of what others are doing around me......have fun, be the audience member you want others to be.  Your world, those around you,  and most importantly, the kids preforming will feel better and have a better attitude.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Not at all, the point is WGI, DCI DCA, BOA,, is all pretty much the same people.It's only natural things would start to blend over which has been going on for decades.

As far as other tastes, you couldn't be more wrong. One can also twist that and say some are so encrusted with their own ideas of what any of those places should be that they ( as you say ) can't experience other possible tastes.

yes as usual you can't enter a discussion of varying viewpoints without getting emotional and in your own words "twist" ing that.

I am thinking of Oriental music and dance even beyond what was done by Seattle Imperials and Cavaliers. African and South American approaches  music and visuals.  Scandinavian and Swiss militarism and precision, not just the pseudo-ballet we are getting from wanna-bees who haven't made it on their own.