Has Audience Culture Changed?

It's simple really. Drum Corps has become far less entertaining than it used to be. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

One more thing I think we will find video proof of that occurring on the Jacksonville dvd. Think Star won with Medea (sp) the cameras scanned the mid-section of the crowd after Star's performance and only one person was standing. I happen to know him (great guy) but when we get together I am still trying to get out of him what substance he was on that night. 

Do you mean Jackson, Mississippi? I can say that I was standing proudly.  So was my son. 

We thought it was great and the future of drum corps.  Most of our friends starting mocking us that night.  We have refused apologies ever since.:sigh:

Just now, cmhs59 said:

Do you mean Jackson, Mississippi? I can say that I was standing proudly.  So was my son. 

Yes Jackson not saying you didn't but the scan of the crowd that made it onto the video did not capture that. One person standing I was there son marched the last year of Dutch Boy (93).

28 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

It's simple really. Drum Corps has become far less entertaining than it used to be. 

or maybe they are watching finals videos?  I know last year at finals there were tons of standing Os

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

or maybe they are watching finals videos?  I know last year at finals there were tons of standing Os

Just my opinion the last several years I have enjoyed the corps more so than say around the mid-nighties to about 2005. Those shows were a little to artsy with less musical appeal for me. I am glad personally that I am just as excited about going to finals this year as I ever had been in the past. With some years being more of a reunion with dear friends than goosebumps in the stands. Not worth working up a sweat about glad it's back for me and that it never left for others, to each his own.

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Just my opinion the last several years I have enjoyed the corps more so than say around the mid-nighties to about 2005. Those shows were a little to artsy with less musical appeal for me. I am glad personally that I am just as excited about going to finals this years as I ever had been in the past. With some years being more of a reunion with dear friends than goosebumps in the stands. Not worth working up a sweat about glad it's back for me and that it never left for others, to each his own.

Right. One of the posters brought up 93 - at finals (on the video tapes) Regiment got 4 standing Os (or 3 and a partial...) -- early that season the show was just stared at, audiences did not like it. By 3 weeks prior to finals (now) it started to be better received. It was really the 2 weeks prior to Jackson they started to get Os for the ballad - then it just completely caught fire. It was crazy because the top 2 corps were so close and so good (Star/Cadets). But in hindsight if I watched old finals tapes 93 is one example of how more excited the crowd might seem than a mid season crowd at a six hour regional. JMO

2 hours ago, smr17 said:

I'm new here so I'm just genuinely curious if anyone agrees, but it seems like watching older videos ('00-'12) there are many instances when the corps would have audiences up and cheering maybe even before the last hit. Now I'm usually disappointed by the lack of excitement in audiences and feel like the standing ovations at the end are weaker and come out of obligation. Does anyone agree and maybe know what has changed? Am I crazy? (please feel free to tell me)

Maybe it's because I'M OLD...but I don't consider 2000-2012 to be "older videos."  Older videos, to me, come on VHS and reel-to-reel tape. :-)

More on topic...the TEXAS crowd on Friday certainly seemed to be more excited by the shows.  I'm wondering if it didn't have a lot to do with the fact there were only 8 corps vs over 25 at San Antonio?  Same thing happens at Indy...the Thursday night crowd doesn't get as excited as the Saturday night crowd.  People do get "tired"...especially OLD people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Regiment got 4 standing Os (or 3 and a partial...)

Loved Regiments that year but the hotels didn't have the run on toilet paper like they did in Atlanta for William Tell. Was embarrassed at our hotel with them scratching their heads wondering why Drum Corps fans crapped so much!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do feel crowds have changed over the years.  However, I am going back to the late 70s.  I have witnessed audiences standing up and giving polite ovations at the shows that I have been to over the past few years, whereas standing ovations would be occurring several times throughout a corps performance.   Perhaps expectations have changed.  Rifles and sabres are now expected to toss quints.  Arranging has changed since the earlier years, though I do see a trend going back to some degree.  Corps used to play longer segments of songs instead of small snippets.  This sometimes causes a disconnect between the performance and audience.  Another thing that I noticed at shows recently.  Several people in the audience were on their cell phones texting people and not paying attending to the performances.  I wanted to ask them why they even bothered to attend the show.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I wanted to ask them why they even bothered to attend the show.  

No need to wonder in Birmingham would need to apply glue on the seat. I will get pummeled for this but that was the turning point for the type of audience dci wanted to attract. For me Birmingham was the last DCA type audience. To expand on that an audience less concerned about scores and placements but had a big hunger to be entertained. DCI knew it could not survive on that type of fan and needed to appeal to more of a musically educated audience, great foresight. Like most things in life they go full circle and tastes change. This year I will think I am back in Birmingham but that may be just me...

• Like 2