Has Audience Culture Changed?

1 hour ago, Precious Roy said:

This ^

Madison Scouts '88, everybody knows and remembers Malaguena. But look at how they started that show. First note -- WHAM!

Crossmen's '91 Pat Metheny show is another favorite example of mine.

I wish this type of opening would become more prevalent again, to balance out the more typical, formulaic, way most shows begin these days.

Can't tell you how many times I find things on YT that are from the 2 years in KC more than most venues where dci was held back then great years, no I did not live there then, no bias.

• Like 1

The DCI East (eastern Classic, I know) audiences when I went were traditionally very tough. However, if you gave a truly inspiring and exciting performance, there was no better crowd in terms of giving it up for the corps. It had to be truly earned. It still has to be, IMHO. Obligatory standing O's are bad for the activity.

At a DCA show a couple of years back, the crowd appreciated everything, maybe too much. I said, "What are you standing for? All it will do is encourage their design team to write more horrible shows like that one or think that was a good show to inflict on us."

At another DCA show I overheard a visual staff member of one of the corps complaining that there was an obvious hit/big moment and it garnered no reaction, what did they have to do?

Well, I kept my mouth shut, but maybe if they had performed the music and drill the way it was intended to be performed instead of halfway/barely clean enough, they would have earned a reaction. This stuff is earned. At least it should be. And not for merely showing up on the field that night. I was told you get what you give in terms of your performance that night from the audience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modonn said:

To some degree, it might be because of difficulty to connect with the theme of a show.  It's getting harder and harder on some of these to understand the theme.  Blue Knights are a prime example.  If you don't understand the ancient Egyptian mythology behind it, you won't get the show.  Mandarins to some degree, Genesis, Phantom, and Colts as well.  On the other end of the spectrum, Boston, Music City, Crown, Academy, and Blue Stars are all easily engaging.  I like every show out of World Class this year, but I've studied them all and get them in a way a one time spectator who hasn't studied them won't be able to.  

Funny. I was at the show yesterday and the first corps to get a rousing Standing O (and before their show was done) were the Colts.  Just f’en WOW.  The next corps was not until Crossmen, but not until their show was done and it appeared to be a hometown reaction.  Cavies got a reaction, but what stuck in my head is that Corps from Iowa blew the stands and fans away like old time drum corps did BITD.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It is a very long day at the regionals.  I see everyone in Indy by seeing a lot of shows earlier on Thursday, take a break and return later.  Friday, I switch it up where I see the middle group I missed on Thursday, take a break, then come in later.  Saturday, I’m there for everyone.  Spreading it out over three days works pretty well for us.  Plus I’m older so I need to get up and take a walk. 

You think that's long? Reminiscing here about DCI Midwest back in the day (80s) ... prelims start at 8am, go almost non-stop until 4-5pm ... all out in the hot sun... then finals start at 7:30pm... top 12 ... then full retreat ... then encore ... all in one day.  Yes, it was a bit of overload, but I remember not getting bored or distracted either.  Good times.

Edited by hughesmr
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, hughesmr said:

You think that's long?  Try DCI Midwest back in the day (80s) ... prelims start at 8am, go almost non-stop until 4-5pm ... all out in the hot sun... then finals start at 7:30pm... top 12 ... then full retreat ... then encore ... all in one day.  Yes, it was a bit of overload, but I remember not getting bored or distracted either.  Good times.

You didn't live will cell phone culture.  Scroll and something new and amazing is being shown to you every couple of seconds.

10 minutes ago, hughesmr said:

You think that's long? Reminiscing here about DCI Midwest back in the day (80s) ... prelims start at 8am, go almost non-stop until 4-5pm ... all out in the hot sun... then finals start at 7:30pm... top 12 ... then full retreat ... then encore ... all in one day.  Yes, it was a bit of overload, but I remember not getting bored or distracted either.  Good times.

I remember.  I marched in whitewater several times. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dcikon2 said:

Another thing that I noticed at shows recently.  Several people in the audience were on their cell phones texting people and not paying attending to the performances.  I wanted to ask them why they even bothered to attend the show.  

To me, that seems to be a trend not only at drum corps shows, but at a variety of live events including sporting events. I've seen folks chatting away on their phones at baseball games, for example.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluzes said:

No need to wonder in Birmingham would need to apply glue on the seat. I will get pummeled for this but that was the turning point for the type of audience dci wanted to attract. For me Birmingham was the last DCA type audience. To expand on that an audience less concerned about scores and placements but had a big hunger to be entertained.

Heh... today, even a number of DCA audiences are no longer "DCA-type audiences."  :tongue:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... today, even a number of DCA audiences are no longer "DCA-type audiences.

Got that right but some of us are still on this side of the ground!

• Like 1