Are popular pop/rock tunes making a come back at dci?

Not that they ever went away totally, they were pretty lean a decade ago. However the little we had back then became staple songs of the activity like BD's Man Loves A Women and others. Todays shows are chocked fill of 70's/80's pop/rock hits. Was not like that say 10-15 years ago. Am I worng and was just not paying attention then? 

Aretha Franklin, Radiohead, Joni Mitchell, Ozzie, Metallica, Carpenters, Pink Floyd, Charles Mingus, Billie Holiday who transcends music itself. On the field today. These types of tunes have been trending up lately. Myself I hope it continues even if blasting some Carpenters tunes out of my garage the other day has my neighbors wondering if I have laten gender issues.

Cavies 65 - Watermellon Man --- St Mary's Cardinals - Tropical Heat Wave and many others still bounce around in my head today.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

I think it has to do with the designers trying to stay relevant. I suspect this is happening now, verses 10-15 years ago, because of the rule changes allowing electronics.  Another trend that has re-emerged is the plethera of songs in a show. Reminds of the 60's when corps would play 8-10 songs in a show. The good is we get a lot of variety of styles. The bad is we get very little development of a musical idea.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAvery said:

The bad is we get very little development of a musical idea.  

Good point the fanatics of today seem mostly concerned with numbers on a score sheet, their focus is on perfection not trendy styles, they see clearer on lack of development. Fans like myself  (who can't even hum a tune) do not notice that at all, leave before scores are announced and still feel like we got our monies worth and then some. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

38 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Aretha Franklin, Radiohead, Joni Mitchell, Ozzie, Metallica, Carpenters, Pink Floyd, Charles Mingus, Billie Holiday who transcends music itself. On the field today. These types of tunes have been trending up lately. Myself I hope it continues even if blasting some Carpenters tunes out of my garage the other day has my neighbors wondering if I have laten gender issues.

I daresay that a sizeable chunk of the audience doesn't know the music you list any better than classical stuff.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Not that they ever went away totally, they were pretty lean a decade ago. However the little we had back then became staple songs of the activity like BD's Man Loves A Women and others. Todays shows are chocked fill of 70's/80's pop/rock hits. Was not like that say 10-15 years ago. Am I worng and was just not paying attention then? 

Cavies 65 - Watermellon Man --- St Mary's Cardinals - Tropical Heat Wave and many others still bounce around in my head today.

Royal-Airs played Watermelon Man in ‘65. 

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Royal-Airs played Watermelon Man in ‘65

Oops and I was in Fenway that year thanks

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I daresay that a sizeable chunk of the audience doesn't know the music you list any better than classical stuff.

Probably so can't disagree, I do but fall out of the mainstream on most any issue. Good Point