Would it kill you to play soft?

Brass lines these days have 3 volumes -- f, ff, and mic'd soloist (half the time with the amp volume too loud). I miss when we actually got an ensemble playing with dynamic contrast, blend, dynamics, clarity, etc. Going to live shows is very monotonous now, you feel like you're being blasted and clubbed into submission. I partially blame Cesario's Zhdanov decree of a few years ago that shows must be more accessible, which has in practice meant loud and dumbed down. Cadets' "Liquid" in 2005, especially the beginning, is my all-time fave for this reason: technical playing and subtle phrasing at piano while marching fast drill. There are even musical phrases that build and set up impact moments. 

That dino in my sig is getting too big for its eggshell...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Brass lines these days have 3 volumes -- f, ff, and mic'd soloist (half the time with the amp volume too loud). I miss when we actually got an ensemble playing with dynamic contrast, blend, dynamics, clarity, etc. Going to live shows is very monotonous now, you feel like you're being blasted and clubbed into submission. I partially blame Cesario's Zhdanov decree of a few years ago that shows must be more accessible, which has in practice meant loud and dumbed down. Cadets' "Liquid" in 2005, especially the beginning, is my all-time fave for this reason: technical playing and subtle phrasing at piano while marching fast drill. There are even musical phrases that build and set up impact moments. 

While I have to respectfully disagree with parts of your first statement, I had to give you a +1 for the "Liquid" comment. I would have killed to be able to see them live that year. They even had a show just an hour and a half away from me that year. But alas, I was still in high school and had no car at the time.

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Brass lines these days have 3 volumes -- f, ff, and mic'd soloist (half the time with the amp volume too loud). I miss when we actually got an ensemble playing with dynamic contrast, blend, dynamics, clarity, etc. Going to live shows is very monotonous now, you feel like you're being blasted and clubbed into submission...

You might enjoy indoor concert band.

Oh wait.  With all the indoor venues, drum corps is indoor concert band.  Silly me.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

The use of electronics is not only growing, but threatens the entire complexion of the activity. We have fields full of the best young musicians of the world and here we are pushing their natural and personal achievements in the direction of the artificial.

Dino alert remembering when corps members showed their musical talents in spite of the equipment.

And answer to not hearing soloists was to have rest of corps play softer.

• Like 3

Maybe for next season -- DCI 2019: The Acoustic Set.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, FTNK said:

Doesn't crown play soft this year?

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Maybe for next season -- DCI 2019: The Acoustic Set.

Please.  Yes.

• Haha 1