Would it kill you to play soft?

44 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Maybe you should tell us why you disagree with the subject of the thread?  Just because you disagree, doesn’t mean the conversation should be silenced.

Your funny bone is broken.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Meanwhile judges are awarding these behaviors and telling other corps to "turn it up" (meaning the brass line or the amp) and "we've got this musical thought, move onto the next" which happens in about 30 seconds of a song starting

Do you have actual verification of this, or is this just hyperbole? In my 10 years instructing, I had never once heard a judge actually say a corps needed to be louder. What I HAVE heard is the need to make moments more effective by having more contrast. So if a line isn't very loud (either due to size or ability), then bring down the lower end of the dynamic range to create the illusion of actual volume. Sometimes this would be in the context of "Yes, you are not as loud as Corps B, but you can still be as effective."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

Brass lines these days have 3 volumes -- f, ff, and mic'd soloist (half the time with the amp volume too loud).

Agree and now we have right/left/center/back balance from the speakers. R/L balance has been a life long issue for me constantly evaluating my home stereos and ears, can't go 10 feet in my house w/o running into another Bose system so I can blast my music w/o wife complaining. I help out record stores downtown when systems come in for resale. It's what I do drum corps has always been my ultimate ear test, not any more and I despise doctors but now need them for ear tests.. Was at a show last week where a nameless corps had their line arrays set up on the 30, was sitting on 47 to the left and could not hear anything from the far array even in the low points.

17 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Do you have actual verification of this, or is this just hyperbole? In my 10 years instructing, I had never once heard a judge actually say a corps needed to be louder. What I HAVE heard is the need to make moments more effective by having more contrast. So if a line isn't very loud (either due to size or ability), then bring down the lower end of the dynamic range to create the illusion of actual volume. Sometimes this would be in the context of "Yes, you are not as loud as Corps B, but you can still be as effective."

curious if you instructed DCI during the recent amplification wars? the past couple seasons things have changed dramatically & corps are hearing a lot of feedback on mic solos, "reinforcement" through amplification etc...

I completely agree with everything else you are saying - if you're not "as loud" then play softer and use more solos and small ensembles to make the big moments seem even bigger (and frankly they will be with that approach lol)

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

curious if you instructed DCI during the recent amplification wars? the past couple seasons things have changed dramatically & corps are hearing a lot of feedback on mic solos, "reinforcement" through amplification etc...

I completely agree with everything else you are saying - if you're not "as loud" then play softer and use more solos and small ensembles to make the big moments seem even bigger (and frankly they will be with that approach lol)

No, I instructed pre-electronics. But asking corps to fix their balance of electronics to acoustics is not the same as asking a corps to turn it louder to BE louder.

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Your funny bone is broken.

Maybe your sarcasm emoji is broken as can’t tell either way 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

mf = turn backfield

LOL... reminds me of a long-gone era, pre-DCI, when there were basically two volume levels... 1) facing the front stands,  and 2) facing backfield. :laughing:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL... reminds me of a long-gone era, pre-DCI, when there were basically two volume levels... 1) facing the front stands,  and 2) facing backfield. :laughing:

The tried and true method of extending a brass line's "dynamic range"

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Maybe your sarcasm emoji is broken as can’t tell either way 

Well the ban thing was a joke, but I'm fully in the "play loud" camp.

I remember suffering through the years of other groups trying to emulate The Cavaliers' boring sound from the early 2000's. Ugh.

Never again.

Just now, Fran Haring said:

1) facing the front stands,  and 2) facing backfield

Correct and I would add off the line and ending end zone. I play Skyliners just nailing it off the line and new fans today can't believe they were that far from the field mic's.