Would it kill you to play soft?

55 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol first show I ever saw they were blasting the backfield part of Elks Parade and it was echoing off Hersheys concrete stands.

And probably melting the "chocolate" street lamps in town.:whistle: 

• Haha 1

I admit I’m in agreement that more subtle dynamics could be utilized at times, but the bigger volumes are not just loud..... they’re ressonant!!! It’s that darkness and control that is so insane and exciting. That said, I feel often corps lose steam in he middle of their shows because it all starts to sound the same. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Nice I don't think that speaker technology back then and G Valve horns could have co-existed. Heck I ripped the fabric of my speakers just playing the records. They would need a new set for each show.

I always thought it was way the horns were made and way they were played more than the key but I’m no expert. Played all types of horns (p/r, 2v, 3v) but all in G

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

Well the ban thing was a joke, but I'm fully in the "play loud" camp.

I remember suffering through the years of other groups trying to emulate The Cavaliers' boring sound from the early 2000's. Ugh.

Never again.

Well, I wasn't a fan of the Cavaliers "boring" sound from the early 2000's either.  And now, I'm not a fan of their moments where it's just blasting noise.  Yeah, it's loud.  But, to me, LOUD doesn't make it good.

Crown's "Fanfare for the Common Man" in 2012 is a great example of playing at very quiet levels, and how impressive that control sounded live.  Absolutely jaw-dropping.

Cadets have also been better than most at showcasing wide dynamic range and musicality, especially up through 2015.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

Well the ban thing was a joke, but I'm fully in the "play loud" camp.

I remember suffering through the years of other groups trying to emulate The Cavaliers' boring sound from the early 2000's. Ugh.

Never again.

That was the worst.  

• Like 2

There are no dynamic changes anymore.  I don't hear any crescendo, decrescendo, or sforzando from anyone.  It's like the amps only have three settings: 1, 4, and 7 with nothing in between.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

It's like the amps only have three settings: 1, 4, and 7 with nothing in between.

Today's DCI amps "go to eleven"

Edited by Eleran

7 hours ago, FTNK said:

Brass lines these days have 3 volumes -- f, ff, and mic'd soloist (half the time with the amp volume too loud). I miss when we actually got an ensemble playing with dynamic contrast, blend, dynamics, clarity, etc. Going to live shows is very monotonous now, you feel like you're being blasted and clubbed into submission. I partially blame Cesario's Zhdanov decree of a few years ago that shows must be more accessible, which has in practice meant loud and dumbed down. Cadets' "Liquid" in 2005, especially the beginning, is my all-time fave for this reason: technical playing and subtle phrasing at piano while marching fast drill. There are even musical phrases that build and set up impact moments. 

That dino in my sig is getting too big for its eggshell...

This is spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1