Would it kill you to play soft?

5 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

There are no dynamic changes anymore.  I don't hear any crescendo, decrescendo, or sforzando from anyone.  It's like the amps only have three settings: 1, 4, and 7 with nothing in between.

I agree, mostly.  Maybe I'm just just not noticing the really good stuff.  

Can some folks point out some concrete examples (from this year) where there are effective and noticeable dynamic changes?  I legitimately want to know where to listen, so I can appreciate those specific moments.  

11 minutes ago, karuna said:

Some corps still know how to play softly and with dynamic expression.

There is no emoji to choose from that is as great as the link you have provided.  Thank you, AGAIN, Crown, for yet another outstanding edition of your horn line.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

There is no emoji to choose from that is as great as the link you have provided.  Thank you, AGAIN, Crown, for yet another outstanding edition of your horn line.

:inlove: says it best.  (ps.  Beast has a nice emoji here :73_japanese_ogre: )     

BTW keep going in the video and listen to the dynamics in the first part of Blow It Up.  LOTS of expression and dynamics before the Nessie gliss section. 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FTNK said:

Brass lines these days have 3 volumes -- f, ff, and mic'd soloist (half the time with the amp volume too loud). I miss when we actually got an ensemble playing with dynamic contrast, blend, dynamics, clarity, etc. Going to live shows is very monotonous now, you feel like you're being blasted and clubbed into submission. I partially blame Cesario's Zhdanov decree of a few years ago that shows must be more accessible, which has in practice meant loud and dumbed down. Cadets' "Liquid" in 2005, especially the beginning, is my all-time fave for this reason: technical playing and subtle phrasing at piano while marching fast drill. There are even musical phrases that build and set up impact moments. 

That dino in my sig is getting too big for its eggshell...

I agree 100%. I hardly felt engaged by the shows in San Antonio - I mostly felt attacked. 

It used to be that music was the purpose, and the visual elements supported the music. Now it seems that visual gymnastics rule the day, supported by random blasts of sound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

The use of electronics is not only growing, but threatens the entire complexion of the activity. We have fields full of the best young musicians of the world and here we are pushing their natural and personal achievements in the direction of the artificial.

I fear the day is coming where the only musicians will be in the pit, amped through the speakers.  10-12 brass, 7 battery (1,1,5), plus the usual pit stuff.  And about 115 guard on the field doing all the movement stuff.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I fear the day is coming where the only musicians will be in the pit, amped through the speakers.  10-12 brass, 7 battery (1,1,5), plus the usual pit stuff.  And about 115 guard on the field doing all the movement stuff.  

Don't give 'em any ideas!   Now you've done it! :bored:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

Well, I wasn't a fan of the Cavaliers "boring" sound from the early 2000's either.  And now, I'm not a fan of their moments where it's just blasting noise.  Yeah, it's loud.  But, to me, LOUD doesn't make it good.

Crown's "Fanfare for the Common Man" in 2012 is a great example of playing at very quiet levels, and how impressive that control sounded live.  Absolutely jaw-dropping.

Cadets have also been better than most at showcasing wide dynamic range and musicality, especially up through 2015.  

If there is one thing that Cadets have done consistently well even through the years of extremely flawed designs, it is their diligence to demonstrate true musicality on the football field. They do it better than any other corps. This is part of the reason I put the 2013 Cadets on a pedestal. Controversially, having seen both Crown and Cadets live in Allentown that year, I honestly though Cadets should've taken the Ott but I guess that's why I'm not a judge. 

• Like 3