The State of Drum Corps

7 hours ago, mfrontz said:

I thought this thread was about California.

I was thinking Texas. The state of drum corps. Like Minnesota, the state of hockey. 

I'll take a different route. I'd like to see GE scores re-assigned as one part visual and one part music. GE with 4 judges and its own over-weighted category isn't the right balance for scoring. I enjoy the vocals, amplification can make some sense ( especially for pit percussion mallet instruments) and props can be interesting, but at the end of the day, the best corps should have awesome brass, awesome percussion, awesome feet, and an awesome guard. The core of the corps should carry the day with regards to scoring. And yes I know GE is more than what I just listed. But too much emphasis as separate category.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bluesman said:

I was on the verge of saying goodbye to Drum Corps as well.  Then I saw Troopers Magnificent 11.  They were able to give us a modern show without giving up anything that made the Troopers what they are.  I wept during the sun burst and I'm so glad I didn't leave Drum Corps to the past.

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I cried during that show, too.  

Apparently (at least one of) the judges almost did as well:

2013 Judge's Tape

:inlove:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gak27 said:

2013 Judge's Tape

For all of the talk of getting "Torched" over the years by various corps,  the Troopers guard got a 1.1 point bump in one performance from the "Torchinator".  I know, I know.... numbers management, last performance of the year, etc.  I get it.

I asked a member of their board about that a couple of years later.  His response was that at that moment, on that night, she stopped judging and was a fan soaking it in like the rest of us.  I think the tape reflects that.  Listen closely to the other judges in the background doing the same thing.

"She's in white!  Oh my gawd!"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I cried during that show, too.  

I still tear up when I watch the video.

The Starburst and the female guard member with the old uniform and the 11 flag,

gets me every time.

• Like 2

Just got back from Hattiesburg.  I marched in 1991 and have been going to shows since.  I have some serious problems with DCI's current direction, but I still loved the show and everyone I was with young and old loved the show.  My older sister said she got "goosebumps" from the Crossmen show.  

My biggest gripe would be 3 things

1, Field amplification of the whole corps rather than just pit and soloists. 

2. Too much over-amplified synth-bass which ruins the overall mix for me. Worse offenders- Colts and Blue Devils. 

3. Too much voice-over narration, ballet movement by the brass and drums, long periods of synthesizer gooey-ness where no one is really playing or marching, and the frantic arrangements of the music which rarely develop or go anywhere. 

Despite all this I love DCI.  The percussion sections were awesome. Every drum line was good and several were great. The Blue Devils "natural woman" was magical.  Every show was worth watching and I had a great time. 

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I can't help but blame amplification on all the people who moaned for years about the move away from G bugles. You wanted volume, you got it! 

:withstupid:Is that Really the reason? 

1 hour ago, gak27 said:

2013 Judge's Tape

I saw your signature. 1975 Royal Crusaders is one of my favorite DC shows of all time. I wore this show out on LP back in the day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

I saw your signature. 1975 Royal Crusaders is one of my favorite DC shows of all time. I wore this show out on LP back in the day.

Hey watch out someone might say you have made that exact same comment for 4 years straight! :peek:

• Haha 2

The state of drum corps the art form is fine..It just requires a higher degree of knowledge technically in visual, brass and percussion to be successful...The mm's today are almost professional in their categories...I think that mm's auditioning from as far away as Japan says a great deal about the "I" in DCI...Amplification may ruffle some feathers but in fairness to the musicians the complexity of the arrangements makes it necessary..However, too much of a good thing may be problematic (synth bass) for example..