What Happened to Tailgating Drum Corp Style

Back in the day when pulling into a close by parking lot, there would be gatherings of fans just blasting drum corps from pretty obnoxious stereo's. You could join in on the fun fans would come and make requests of corps they were members of back in the day and out popped an old cassette of that show. We haven't seen that in about 20 years except for the crowd we hang with we still do it, it's part of the experience that we will not let die. Once we met at a hotel for a friends wedding (no show) and did that with folks coming out of their rooms yelling what the heck is that music? It's a tradition we have no plans of letting go.  

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Back in the day when pulling into a close by parking lot, there would be gatherings of fans just blasting drum corps from pretty obnoxious stereo's. You could join in on the fun fans would come and make requests of corps they were members of back in the day and out popped an old cassette of that show. We haven't seen that in about 20 years except for the crowd we hang with we still do it, it's part of the experience that we will not let die. Once we met at a hotel for a friends wedding (no show) and did that with folks coming out of their rooms yelling what the heck is that music? It's a tradition we have no plans of letting go.  

It probably depends on the community. Some towns allow it, others don’t. Allentown seems to have its fair share of tale gaters. 

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

It probably depends on the community. Some towns allow it, others don’t. Allentown seems to have its fair share of tale gaters. 

Plenty of picnics in the park in Allentown.

We also tailgated at the Chester show last year.  But, there weren't many.

Maybe it depends on whether it's a weekend show.  Weekday shows are hard to tailgate at if you are coming from work.

7 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

We also tailgated at the Chester show last year.  But, there weren't many.

Maybe it depends on whether it's a weekend show.  Weekday shows are hard to tailgate at if you are coming from work.

One year back in the early 70's VFW held prelims/finals at Roosevelt Stadium the week after the dream was there. All that week in & out of the stadium we went, drum corps music blasting out all over the place. The parking lot became so full of beer cans that they had to bulldoze them into big piles.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

It's fun to see them picnics posted about wish I still lived out there. Good thing DCI never followed through with Ypsilanti being a hub show. Our usual misfits gather we set up started blasting music and the campus police show up, said to my friend guess the music is too loud, not that they wanted us to spill the beer. Being such a wise guy told them we only do that to wine. No sense of humor what's so ever, told me it's an alcohol-free environment. Of course, I said we paid for the beer but where is it free around here (just can't take the Jersey out of me). A friend said what's up, it's hours before the show so we moved the car across the lot taking their advice literal. Came back very upset had to spill the beer again. Moved the car to a third spot and they never came back.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

dci dosen't want it. Two years ago at the Holiday Inn Express, a stone's throw from LOS outside back of the hotel on Wednesday afternoon Jim & Terry was there with Jim getting antsy that he hasn't heard his favorite corps yet I assured him it was qued. Someone from inside the hotel came out and said we needed to turn off that music now because he can't get any work done. He had a dci shirt on so asked him if he worked for dci sure enough he did. In a very calming manner, I explained that if he was a truck or bus driver losing sleep we would turn it off altogether but you can pack it in and go back to Lombard for peace and quiet for all we care. The nerve of the hive mind it never ceases to amaze me.

• Haha 1

I set up my tailgate every year in Allentown.  I even play the source music for the current year out of my vehicle. However, I am going to finals this year and won't be there. Next year, tailgating in the lot across from the Ham-Fam is back on.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

dci dosen't want it. Two years ago at the Holiday Inn Express, a stone's throw from LOS outside back of the hotel on Wednesday afternoon Jim & Terry was there with Jim getting antsy that he hasn't heard his favorite corps yet I assured him it was qued. Someone from inside the hotel came out and said we needed to turn off that music now because he can't get any work done. He had a dci shirt on so asked him if he worked for dci sure enough he did. In a very calming manner, I explained that if he was a truck or bus driver losing sleep we would turn it off altogether but you can pack it in and go back to Lombard for peace and quiet for all we care. The nerve of the hive mind it never ceases to amaze me.

DCI guy probably wanted a safe space. They get all upset when corps music is played. 

• Haha 1

Years ago,there was a "tent city" in the park by the Bernie Crum Stadium.

People would hang out there all day and well into the night.

It was always a great place to walk around and meet new drum corps friends.

Then Allentown banned tents and other "shelters".

That kind of cut down on the tailgating for the Easts.

Now my wife and i park on the street and set up our spread there.

Edited by rpbobcat

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

Years ago,there was a "tent city" in the park by the Bernie Crum Stadium

Yep remember driving around the park corps getting ready all over the place. Allentown having such a large high school stadium always wondered why their mascot was the Canaries don't exactly scare the bejesus out of you. Did they ever change that?