What makes a good Blue Devils show?

Easy question:

https://goo.gl/images/UCpYjU

The hell with it— I remember when it was easy to post images here; now it’s effing error central. 

Edited by TRacer

Love BD because they have made everyone better. But having said that:

A good BD show is one that is unique from other BD shows 

• Like 1

IMO, their coordination of all the elements in a drum corps production is second to none.

Plus, their staff continuity. No revolving door like what might be the case elsewhere.

Their 2014 corps remains the best drum corps I have ever seen, and I've been around since the Stone Age.  LOL.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I suppose a " special year " for BD in all those 18 titles won, would be seasons when they went undefeated.

The years that seem special to me would be those years that I enjoyed their show perhaps better than most BD shows. About half of my favorite BD shows they did not win that year ( about half, they did win that year ).  Ironically, Some years that they went undefeated were not  not only not one of my favorite BD shows, they were not one of my top 4 or 5 shows in that season.  BD is almost always excellent in performance talent and execution. Some seasons more than others. So its a matter of which ones I enjoyed the most that became special for me.

Which BD shows/ years are special for you. How do you personally define a " special " BD season ?

Well...defining special or objectively...as by the numbers....you can't overlook 2014 and 1986. 1986 was their only victory in that era (1983-1993) and 2014 was the highest scoring show of all time.

Funny thing is I'm not into their 2014 production at all.  My husband caught wind that it would probably be the highest scoring show of all time so we opted to watch BD rehearse at YSU instead of going to the Massillon show. From a music education perspective it was very valuable to my husband because their rehearsal approach was so much different than what he experienced as a member of a different corps in 01 but we were both left in the end wishing we had just gone to the Massillon TOC show instead.

Subjectively these BD shows stand out to me (I have probably only seen half on film pre-1999).

1976- their first championship and this show is just fun old school drum corps.  It is the show that started the dynasty. Great jazz lineup. Marching timpini... what's not to like.

1999- it was a tie for a championship so it probably doesn't stand out historically...but their use of percussion was so unique,fun, and fresh. My favorite thing about BD even since highschool when I was watching on ESPN has been their percussion and this show is probably the coolest percussion showcase of all time.

2009/1930- I believe this was an undefeated year for BD but could be wrong. I just really like this show and it stood out in what was an overall down year for DCI.

2017- I personally like it for the field enterance, the ballad, and the trumpet feature (I usually don't really like BD high brass) This show is the perfect example of how through the years BD has been changing yet has remained the same. Play a clip of any BD show over the years and they are easily identifiable. They have always had a similar sound and have been building and progressing on a similar look 

BD is a shining example of consistency and is the most consistent corps is DCI. Since I feel a BD show is a good BD show that's why I think that I'm general when they don't win that means it's a great year for the corps that does win not a down year for BD. It seems that BD just doesn't have a down year.

I am far from considering myself a BD fan but I have to give credit where it is due.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Was 87-93 a down time for BD or a great time for the field?

Obviously what makes a show special has little to do with Gold Medals. I mean, look at how much love 88, 91 get. From that very era.

To answer the question, it was a great time for the field. Granted, there was a hiccup for a couple of years in there for percussion. But that wasn't all of 87 to 93.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

98 is one of my all time favorites 

BDs 98 horn line is one of the most under rated lines of all time imo.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tony L. said:

I think that there are plenty of DCI fans who will say their favorite BD show is one that did not win.  For better or worse, not winning is what makes a BD show special to many.  For me that would be 1991.

To this day BD 91 is the most powerful horn line i have ever witnessed in person. And i stood in front of Crown's brass during their warmup in Riverside 2013, which was jaw dropping amazing. But BD 91, OMG, just a different level of power. 1993 wasn't far behind either.