40 year dominance

On 8/5/2018 at 11:35 AM, ContraFart said:

I believe that the talent level of the top 5 or 6 corps is pretty equal and only differs by degrees. What BD has that other corps do not is a staff that has been together for 30+ years. Bluecoats are second in staff longevity I believe. SCV is up there with some of their staff but the Rennicks haven't been there super long and this is Gaines' first year as lead drill designer.

Agree with that premise! YES! that's true, Scott Chandler, Scott Johnson, Todd Ryan (from Star of Indiana), Dave Glyde, Jay Murphy, John Meehan, TJ Doucette  (retired Wayne Downey) have been together for almost four decades and they trust each other (consistency) in show design and execution of the vision. Watch out, Sanata Clara Vanguard is biulding a foundation, they are collecting their Chess pieces for future use. I would put Blue Stars and Boston Crusaders on the move with staff acquisitions! 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 11:48 AM, MikeRapp said:

Having established, proven, well paid staff is, unfortunately, a rarity in this activity. I would imagine that nothing taints the energy and commitment of marching members like seeing and hearing how their educational staff is taken advantage of, especially financially. You can’t hide much when you share the same buses and gym floors for three months.

How can corps become organizations? To me, this is what DCI needs to be very serious about going forward. Perhaps they are. But it would be great if the established top eight organizations did more to help out their competition.

Boston Crusaders two years ago made the conscience decision to recruit top notch staff and it's paying off! 

• Like 1

I'm so unbelievably baffled by why this is an issue. It's not like drum corps compete against each other in business (I realize the drum corps activity itself is competitive, but as far as raising funds goes, it's not like BD is McDonald's and Phantom is Burger King). If someone is doing it majorly well, excelling, shouldn't that just become the model that everyone follows? BD runs educational clinics, sells branded merchandise (referring to System Blue), has a program designed to provide the highest level of marching/music on demand for cost...basically they understand how to work the business side. Meanwhile, they also design shows that work extremely well with the scoring system, and have a teaching staff/methodology that clearly communicates well and treats members a certain to yield results. 

It seems pretty obvious that the Blue Devils organization is the textbook for how to run a drum corps that thrives.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I'm so unbelievably baffled by why this is an issue. It's not like drum corps compete against each other in business (I realize the drum corps activity itself is competitive, but as far as raising funds goes, it's not like BD is McDonald's and Phantom is Burger King). If someone is doing it majorly well, excelling, shouldn't that just become the model that everyone follows? BD runs educational clinics, sells branded merchandise (referring to System Blue), has a program designed to provide the highest level of marching/music on demand for cost...basically they understand how to work the business side. Meanwhile, they also design shows that work extremely well with the scoring system, and have a teaching staff/methodology that clearly communicates well and treats members a certain to yield results. 

It seems pretty obvious that the Blue Devils organization is the textbook for how to run a drum corps that thrives.

SOME ONE GETS IT!!!! 

• Like 2