40 year dominance

6 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

As if winning really means something other than to those that participated. Fickle fans come & go, me personally who wins dci is right up there with who wins Family Feud. In both cases the losers received the same amount of exposure, had just as much fun and learned from the experience. Could BD win with one hand behind it's back is an unknown? 

Can't blame them for being successful using bingo as a revenue source while others can't, as an example. That's the difference between the NFL that revenue shares and MLB that doesn't. In the NFL anyone can be champs. In the MLB, that is more difficult the Yanks are a example of that. Here is where it breaks down. There are 32 MLB teams and it took the KC Royals 30 years to win the series again. Then how many times should Pioneer have won in that scenario twice maybe, didn't happen.

The MMs are not courted and showed with anything, they are not drafted like baseball. Just the opposite they are the ones taking a bath here with audition fees and all them expenses. If one were to blame anybody for BDs success it's the MM's they have attracted. They identified themselves with BD's image, felt a comfort level in past shows, that next year will be great, that's where they wanted to be. I would say these MMs spent their money wisely and are the number one reason for BD's success. 

For the most part yes. although I don't like to compare to Sports orgs.

Now You are right to a point. Most MMs yes you are correct BUT there have been many who have been. BD doesn't have to do this much which is my point BUT there have been and in very recent years who have wooed staff away which staff then in turns convinces MMs. There also have been times when a kid expresses interest, corps have waived some fees. ( shady for some for sure )

You are totally right about BD and their success

26 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

The best corps have the best, most consistent teaching.  IMHO that should be a top priority for any corps that wants to move up the food chain.

Oh, if it were only that simple.

It reminds me of the classic Steve Martin comedy bit called, "How to be a millionaire and never pay taxes."
Step one, get a million dollars. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, snake33 said:

How can a 40 year dominence in two divisions be good for any activity? BD and to great extent California is DCI. They started out in the 70s with a large initial advantage and that advantage has built upon itself over decades. Subjective judging has leaned primarily towards one style and now rule changes are proposed to make that subjective bias even worse.
DCI isn't a sport it is an exhibition with BD and sometimes SCV the featured act. If everybodies OK with that, carry on.

Lost you on the first sentence.  What is the second division that California has dominated for 40 years?

In the 1970’s when Anaheim Kingsmen, then Santa Clara, and finally Blue Devils won the early championships, the argument for their success was better weather allowed year round practice. 

While there is little question that one knows how to win better than Blue Devils, dominance at least to me is more than just winning. Trend setting matters too, and while I would put SCV in this category, I’m not sure I would consider BD trend setters, at least not the way I consider other champions such as Crown, Cavies, Star, to some extent Bloo, as trend setters. I don’t say this with any disrespect to BD, but their shows are in their own league and not often duplicated. And when it comes to dominance as winning and trend setting, my vote would have to go to Cadets, and New Jersey/Pennsylvania is a long way from California. 

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

For the most part yes. although I don't like to compare to Sports orgs.

The comparison was financial structure, that in even an unbalanced funding scenario (Corps) a talent draft equals the playing field that every so often cycles all teams to the winner circle. Take just the draft away you get not only a BD but a pretty consistent top 10. I don't buy the whole staff thing, they also broke a lot of kids hearts with not to kind rejections. There is to much staff touting that it seems to madder to the judges somewhat. They have a job to do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Lost you on the first sentence.  What is the second division that California has dominated for 40 years?

OK, you got me, their B Corps did not dominate the lower division the entire time but what a great new perk. Now a grass roots Corps out there somewhere east has even less of a chance to make it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

The comparison was financial structure, that in even an unbalanced funding scenario (Corps) a talent draft equals the playing field that every so often cycles all teams to the winner circle. Take just the draft away you get not only a BD but a pretty consistent top 10. I don't buy the whole staff thing, they also broke a lot of kids hearts with not to kind rejections. There is to much staff touting that it seems to madder to the judges somewhat. They have a job to do. 

Im not saying you're wrong...except the staff thing. I do auditions and have hired and fired staff, sent kids home for 1 reason or another etc etc and staff will pull kids. there are examples all over the activity. Yes rejections do come with today's auditions, especially at the top

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

If you feel the need to be dismissive of an OP because it is his first post.... then perhaps you should move on.   Yes this topic has come up many times before, but it is still a relevant topic of discussion.  

I'm not dismissive of the OP because it's his first post. I'm dismissive because he spelled dominance wrong. 

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm not dismissive of the OP because it's his first post. I'm dismissive because he spelled dominance wrong. 

My bad.....