40 year dominance

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

you can cut BDs budget down to anyones and they will still succeed. Not even a question. AS far as geographic restrictions. If we did that today , there would be even less corps. If any

FYI - I wasn’t talking about any specific organizations budget. However a budget cap may allow for parity. Either way the cost of touring is a burden that few can continue to afford. It’s unsustainable at its current level. 1.6 to 1.8 million is a hard nut to crack each year and it looks like the price of meat will continue to increase.

FYI the activity was just fine with local geographic membership, a lot more corps too. But I guess you would have had to been there to know. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

FYI - I wasn’t talking about any specific organizations budget. However a budget cap may allow for parity. Either way the cost of touring is a burden that few can continue to afford. It’s unsustainable at its current level. 1.6 to 1.8 million is a hard nut to crack each year and it looks like the price of meat will continue to increase.

FYI the activity was just fine with local geographic membership, a lot more corps too. But I guess you would have had to been there to know. 

I don't disagree with you but don't think capping anyone, which was never done changes when a MM wants to be somewhere. But I get what you are saying.

As far as local membership, If they were doing so well why did it drop, why did corps go under. and FYI I was there Local everything changed MANY local groups do not exist today, support is not the same, the member is totally not the same. It's a different world and the 70s barely worked then they would never work today.

Before you say there were hundreds of corps then YES there was and hundreds also folded. Even on a smaller scale in Winter programs I have had members fly every weekend to a location just to be there or because nothing can exist in their own area for numerous reasons.

Edited by GUARDLING

Just now, GUARDLING said:

I don't disagree with you but don't think capping anyone, which was never done changes when a MM wants to be somewhere. But I get what you are saying.

As far as local membership, If they were doing so well why did it drop, why did corps go under. and FYI I was there Local everything changed MANY local groups do not exist today, support is not the same, the member is totally not the same. It's a different world and the 70s barely worked then they would never work today.

I’m not here to debate any issues on this form, so speak to the mirror. 

The cost of touring is currently affecting the activity participant organizations. If the activity loses another organization or two so be it, but eventually there will be 12 or 10 or 7. It’s not sustainable. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

However a budget cap may allow for parity.

Makes sense not only a cap but revenue sharing with funds over the cap. Would shuffle corps in & out of the top twelve. Would also challenge the staffs so their peer rating isn't predicated on fishing only where the smartest and most talented schools of fish swim each year.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m not here to debate any issues on this form, so speak to the mirror. 

The cost of touring is currently affecting the activity participant organizations. If the activity loses another organization or two so be it, but eventually there will be 12 or 10 or 7. It’s not sustainable. 

Wow someone has a rude attitude today. If you don't want to debate something you said and unless you want to say it's been your experience that differs from another DON"T POST. If you just need to hear yourself talk then there's that mirror for ya. I hear ya with a debate. I will never debate my personal experience. Heck it's not even up for discussion.

Now I am saying you are right about cost of touring  ( so the attitude can be put away )but I'm saying its not just the touring it's everything compared to other times. It's hard to even sustain an independent winter local program also.

Enjoy the day:smile:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Makes sense not only a cap but revenue sharing with funds over the cap. Would shuffle corps in & out of the top twelve. Would also challenge the staffs so their peer rating isn't predicated on fishing only where the smartest and most talented schools of fish swim each year.

Even when corps were more on a  level playing field and local the best just knew how to win, all the others just complained, just like now. You just saw more up and down due to the  tic system which there was no accountability and even more subjective.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Even when corps were more on a  level playing field and local the best just knew how to win, all the others just complained, just like now. You just saw more up and down due to the  tic system which there was no accountability and even more subjective.

Your preaching to the choir scores don't madder and BD winning doesn't madder change this to a music festival and I would come. The headliners at these festivals are the BDs, who cares. Everything has a measure one way or another and some are always found wanting.

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Im not sure either,,,haha

BUT I do think there will also be those who will thrive above others. Another part of the equation is the best, staff etc etc want to be around others who are the best. How many times have we seen staff venturing off to another project with a lot less money or even sometimes more money for them at least and the success needle barely moved. Often ( like BD ) it's about the combination of those around you that also makes a success.

There are or have been great staff that wouldn't touch a corps with a ten-foot pole, which money or not people stay clear of. Some worked through that to success some have not yet. So this has everything to do with mindset and not money. I think we do kida agree..lol

Yeah, that's a good point - not everything is money motivated - thank you for bringing that up. BD is definitely a combination of both, I believe. I think their staff is treated well and wants to be there. That's everything. I know I would rather be at my current job than my last even if I was making less money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

My tolerance for someone pretending to be a self appointed know it all Drum Corps Swami and those ignorant people in general I’ve had to tolerate today is not at its highest level. Try not to get being honest and rude confused. You haven’t seen rude yet. 

WOW. I have always been respectful to you ..whats your issue today. Know it all? seems you're the one that's projecting that, But if you need to match like a 4 year old bring it on.

For the record...it's RUDE

If you are having issues with others fine if it's me then explain why. You jumped on 1 post 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, that's a good point - not everything is money motivated - thank you for bringing that up. BD is definitely a combination of both, I believe. I think their staff is treated well and wants to be there. That's everything. I know I would rather be at my current job than my last even if I was making less money.

Yeah youre right...we agree..yeaaaaaaaa :biggrin: appreciate the conversation

• Like 1