meteoric rises of old

14 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Regiment had a nice bounce back year in 93, jumping from 8th to 3rd. Having Jeff Prosperie take over percussion and Tony Hall on the visual side really helped inject some life into the corps. (It’s still kills me that I had to take that summer off.) Boston’s recent jump has been incredibly impressive.

What was Prosperie doing before then?

(And more importantly, what's he doing now that he retired?!?) 

41 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

7 to 1 in two seasons is an incredible feat on its own. Can anybody else claim this?

SCV 80-81 7th to 1st

i always though 27th from 73-75 was interesting. 8th to 20th to 4th. Or Kilties 75-77. 7th to 28th to 12th. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rise of the Velvet Knights was in large part due to the leadership of Bobby Hoffman and his staff.  VK's rise after 1984 coincides with the unfortunate end of the Bridgemen from New Jersey. When Bridgemen finally folded I believe that is when Bobby Hoffman went to the LA area and brought Velvet Knights to prominence with very similar style shows.  I want to say Dennis Delucia may have been part of that too, but not sure.  Someone will likely have more facts on that.  VK was a blast to watch back in the day, and the 1992 show is legendary. 

42 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The rise of the Velvet Knights was in large part due to the leadership of Bobby Hoffman and his staff.  VK's rise after 1984 coincides with the unfortunate end of the Bridgemen from New Jersey. When Bridgemen finally folded I believe that is when Bobby Hoffman went to the LA area and brought Velvet Knights to prominence with very similar style shows.  I want to say Dennis Delucia may have been part of that too, but not sure.  Someone will likely have more facts on that.  VK was a blast to watch back in the day, and the 1992 show is legendary. 

Delucia was with Star at some point in 80s

7 hours ago, skevinp said:

Blue Devils 1973-1976

24th to 9th to 3rd to 1st.

It is always fun to look at who is in 24th place and imagine them winning it all 3 years later.

Simply not possible today. The season is too short, and the top third has so much more money and staff.

7 hours ago, skevinp said:

Blue Devils 1973-1976

24th to 9th to 3rd to 1st.

It is always fun to look at who is in 24th place and imagine them winning it all 3 years later.

That would have been my corps in '77'and '78 (Wausau Story)

• Like 1