Iconic Drum Majors

Joel Alleyene and the late Dan Veerhusen were both great.  I  met Dan a number of times.  I last saw him in the press box in 06 with the alumni corps.  He remembered me from our days in 79 and 80. I'd also like to mention Milt Allen of the Sky Ryders, Bret Mascaro of the Crossmen and Jim Jordan of the Bridgemen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

One of the iconic moments on a DCI podium...taking picture and showing Scouts championship banner all why the corps is playing at fffffff until his cutoff.  

At one time, I had this photo (probably saved it when it was posted on DCP actually), but I don't know where it is now :(

The" best" Drum Majors are not what fans see on the podium at all. Thats only a small fraction of their responsibilities as a matter of fact. The " best " Drum Majors are leaders off the field. They are the ones that are the most selfless, most self sacrificing, most loyal, most hard working. They are student leaders by example. They embody everything the Corps wants to be in character traits. They make each marcher in the Corps seem special ( because, lets face it, they all are ) As such, some of the " Best " Drum Majors in Drum Corps are not even seen  in the Top Corps, some years.

This thread would be best served if it asked us " what Corps Conductors do we most enjoy watching directing their Corps in Show performance competitions " ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Willie Veenstra was pretty great for Bloo 2013-2015.

Definitely had a fanbase among the younger set (based on my sister's fandom of him).

The "White Knight"  his fan base wasn't just the younger set.  I have a good friend in her 70s that I always had to remind that there were 149 others on the field too. :lle:

• Like 1

A few names that come to mind

Gabe Gallegos of Troopers will go down as one of the great showpersons of DCI and from what I heard was both proud and humbled, not to mention surprised at winning the Jones Award last year.

I found Ben Pouncey of Cadets very charismatic on the podium, and where he tended to bounce a bit on the podium, I thought Pouncey was an appropriate last name. 

Thompson Vou, Boston Crusaders. Lots of folks both with BAC and outside the organization thought he deserved the Jones Award.

i had the chance to meet Austin Baker of Cavaliers. He was impressive on the podium, hard worker behind the scenes, and very personable.

I always have to give a nod to local favorites of days gone by, and one who comes to mind is 27th’s John Oppedisano and if we use Brasso’s excellent criteria, we can’t  forget the young Mike Woodall who shouldered more responsibility than most drum majors. Some who marched with him will say he all but ran the corps as a college student.

Edited by Tim K