Prelims - August 6, 2018

7 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Yep the most subjective  area in the judging what a shame 

I don't think there's any way to solve that problem, short of having every corps play the same design. Otherwise you're left with the equivalent of actors reading from the phone book: it will demonstrate technical ability but bore the audience to tears.

9 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Yep the most subjective  area in the judging what a shame 

Wish groups were scored more for actual performance captions and not artistry and design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't think there's any way to solve that problem, short of having every corps play the same design. Otherwise you're left with the equivalent of actors reading from the phone book: it will demonstrate technical ability but bore the audience to tears.

Actually there's a super easy way to solve that problem. Make GE way less a part of the overall score.

5 hours ago, flammaster said:

I wish Corps played interesting music. 

Which year in DCI history do you believe had the "most interesting music" played by corps?

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's very simple to solve the problem as a fellow DCP member put it perfectly 

---------------

Wish groups were scored more for actual performance captions and not artistry and design.

-----------

The problem is you're asking the activity to do what they don't want to because they are fine with the  scoring. it's obvious they want focus on design so they can promote themselves and make betters careers for themselves  in the marching music activity 

Edited by Triple Forte

10 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

It's very simple to solve the problem as a fellow DCP member put it perfectly 

----------

"Wish groups were scored more for actual performance captions and not artistry and design."

----------

The problem is you're asking the activity to do what they don't want to because they are fine with the  scoring. it's obvious they want focus on design so they can promote themselves and make betters careers for themselves  in the marching music activity 

I don't think it's that simple or obvious.

Here's one complaint a number of people have made about Carolina Crown's show this year: it's just a bunch of notes.

If performance is overemphasized, you end up with more shows like that.

Maybe you love "Beast" and that's exactly what you want! But I suspect there would be just as many people complaining then as now--just a different set of people.

Still, it might be worth trying.

3 hours ago, drumcorpsfan4567 said:

Actually there's a super easy way to solve that problem. Make GE way less a part of the overall score.

Actors reading the phone book.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Actors reading the phone book.

Or an all Lionel Richie show.