Good Morning DCP stop by and share your love for singing in shows

From an old geezer who should not like it at all, when it's done correctly I love it. Why not, the music I listen to outside of drum corps is full of it and I listen to that all most as much as drum corps. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I think Cadets have perfected the use of voice, strongly amplified, blending with the hornline - there are points in the Cadets show where the combined vocal ensemble blends with the hornline - and it is angelic and very emotionally powerful

Things I like and remember...The above. Also I liked BAC...last year especially. The Pioneer singer is excellent.

I didn't think it was their strongest point but it worked for the Guardians last night.

• Like 2

When it's done well... a well-trained voice, good audio quality... I'm fine with it.

When it is done in a "hey....look at the toy we have to play with here" fashion, basically singing just for the sake of singing, a distraction rather than an enhancement...  then not.  LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

7 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

The Pioneer singer is excellent.

She sure is, felt so bad that the soundboard kept cutting out. Last year Allentown was her last clean run where she was able to show her talents.

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

I think Cadets have perfected the use of voice, strongly amplified, blending with the hornline - there are points in the Cadets show where the combined vocal ensemble blends with the hornline - and it is angelic and very emotionally powerful --

They were on the right track last season - this season they have really taken the vocal ensemble effect a long way --

Hint to next corps who does Carmina Burana -- it doesn't take very many voices if the mic'ing and the sound system is setup right -- 

Totally disagree. No reason why the singers are there. Didn't add a thing to the show. Didn't understand anything they said. Do they sing words or in English?

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, shawn craig said:

Totally disagree. No reason why the singers are there. Didn't add a thing to the show. Didn't understand anything they said. Do they sing words or in English?

I have to agree with this.  My major concern has been how they were mic'ed and amplified.  At one show i was sitting on side 2, and heard them from my right (where the speaker was).  Maybe they were throwing their voices from the 30 on side one to the sideline on side 2.  The Cadet electronics team is at fault.  At least let the audience know where to look for a solo or in this case a quartet. 

13 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I have to agree with this.  My major concern has been how they were mic'ed and amplified.  At one show i was sitting on side 2, and heard them from my right (where the speaker was).  Maybe they were throwing their voices from the 30 on side one to the sideline on side 2.  The Cadet electronics team is at fault.  At least let the audience know where to look for a solo or in this case a quartet. 

Man. Couldn’t disagree more. Arrangements and singers are outstanding. The electronic element is now very well done, early season it was a work in progress. Balance is excellent 

as far as “couldn’t understand” - well, they sing in three languages. Ballad is all in Icelandic (except for 3 words in English), sensamaya is in Spanish (based on the poem about the snake) and in the closer a few English phrases from the score song

they are outstanding and add greatly to the production

Bluecoats singer is also integrated wonderfully, very talented and really adds to the program

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have yet to see any DCI show that was better because of the use of voice. I think it all sucks. 

• Like 4