Do any World Class corps not have props on the field this year?

Every finalist corps this year makes heavy use of props in their show. Which was the last top 12 corps not to have props on the field?

Are props required to be competive in DCI today? Should the lack of diversity in prop-featuring vs. full-field drill covering shows be a concern? Or can no show design not be improved by adding props, so should be seen as mandatory for entertainment purposes?

Props are definitely the new fad. Styles do change over time, and right now DCI is in a props, staging, guard-focussed type of show design with marching, body movement, dance, and electronics thrown in for good measure. It continues to morph toward something more closely resembling Broadway on a football field. I quite enjoy it. Happy for the marching members that enjoy performing this style of show. The styles will continue to change as today's marching members become the designers and teachers if tomorrow. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

Genesis & Music City.

EDIT: Totally misread your post. One of the last Finals shows I can remember where there were no props was Crown 2015. I don't count their fabrics as being props because they were each used once and then removed from the field of view.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

Just now, Cadevilina Crown said:

Genesis & Music City.

Music City does sort of have a "prop" if we're going with the traditional stage term (which we should since show design is about theatrics now days) with the bucket "train light". I know it's a stretch, but still. Lol.

Yeah, I can't really class a metal bucket that one person can carry with the Jagged Line stage from last year.  :laughing:

I can't think of a WC corps that doesn't have props. 

Having watched the majority of the 40 corps yesterday at prelims, my vote for best use of (minimal) props goes to the Santa Clara Vanguard CADETS.  If you have the opportunity to see their show, check out how they utilize 3 relatively small staging props. Really well done. 

I believe they should perform tomorrow night in exhibition before the finalist corps. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

I hope we always have props. The DCP Post-Season Yard Sale is always a big hit.

• Haha 3