DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

3 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

I walked by the souvie booth to see if you were there to say hello. Did not see you.  

So did I! Unfortunately, it was the wrong souvie booth, and the wrong year.

• Haha 3

I know it’s not likely, but I’d love to see Crossmen sneak into 11th tonight. Considering that last night was not their greatest run, I’m hoping they have a chance. 

• Like 1

Having looked at this panel on frontensemble.com, there are a handful of judges tonight who have given BD a lower placement in a caption as compared to their season average (granted this is a bit of a flawed comparison as not every show BD has competed in featured every corps from the top 6 or so). Could lead to some interesting results tonight if their opinions stay the same 

I think tonight's panel isn't too favorable for bd but it is a different night with different competition. Plus I do understand bd is a different monster on finals night.

posted from the DrumScorps app

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t complain about using the whole field unless a corps basically tries to trick us into not noticing that their corps can’t sync outside the 30s. 

I have certainly criticized BD for limiting their high demand playing sections to largely stand alone staging. But I don’t think that is unique to BD, and I think at some point designers simply have to choose between having insane books vs easier books that can be performed cleanly while marching. A lot of the most challenging playing stuff that the elite corps are putting on the field just cannot be played cleanly while marching. BD, FWIW, has erred on the side of technical achievement vs GE, if you can put it that way.

Im less focused in this now because I feel as though judges have begun to truly value concept and overall design, or at least equally. DCI is no longer largely a technical exposition, it’s more of a show now, and if the best overall impact comes from less drill but more staging concepts that accentuate the music, all the better.

My comments FWIW weren't directed toward you, I was contrasting and agree with much of what you said. After rereading I realize I may have been a bit Hangry! 

• Like 1

Should we expect any corps to add anything new tonight?  Wasn’t sure if that happens much any more. If so, any thoughts on who and what?

5 minutes ago, Cfmninjaa said:

I think tonight's panel isn't too favorable for bd but it is a different night with different competition. Plus I do understand bd is a different monster on finals night.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I think Allan Kristensen is potentially a very positive presence for BD. Knowing that percussion is one of the biggest differences this year between BD and Bloo in scoring, AK might be BD’s lock on silver. 

3 minutes ago, chadwick said:

Should we expect any corps to add anything new tonight?  Wasn’t sure if that happens much any more. If so, any thoughts on who and what?

Seriously doubt it. The spreads are so relatively wide that there isn’t any reason to risk a screw up. 

Bluecoats and BD both have such complex, interconnected shows that there is no way to add something without really practicing it in front of a real crowd. Both shows don’t really have a place at the end to add or change anything.

If Boston was closer to Crown I could see them maybe adding something at the end, but really, they don’t need any more GE. They already have the most compelling ending on tour.

54 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Having looked at this panel on frontensemble.com, there are a handful of judges tonight who have given BD a lower placement in a caption as compared to their season average (granted this is a bit of a flawed comparison as not every show BD has competed in featured every corps from the top 6 or so). Could lead to some interesting results tonight if their opinions stay the same 

But percussion is where Bluecoats have at time been underscored, and it might seem that this percussion team has been less favorable to Bluecoats than BD.

• Like 1