DCI World Champs Finals - Aug 11, 2018

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The silver will depend almost entirely on which judges are judging percussion, and how they perceive the Session 44 book. If they steer toward technical exposition, BD will win the silver by .3 or so. If they steer toward the book matching the concept, and reward achievement, I say Bloo by .15.

Spot on!

5 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

So who does this panel favour/not favor?  I know last time MTurner judged guard he placed Cadets over Boston!!!!!

Based on 2018 history, he places them above BAC regardless of the caption he is judging.  I hate to say it, but he is their biggest hurdle for that Zingali.  I just hope we'll see judging based on true performance and not on past history.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Found it...judges are human...even checking to make sure all is okay. 

right there is why AK is the man! making it so the kid feels good about it and not beating themselves up!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Isn’t this the same percussion judging crew that nearly got run over several times in prelims, and registered whacked scores for most of the top eight? Maybe DCI had a sit down with them over the last two days and told them to get their crap together, so we don’t end up with a bunch of frustrated, cynical fans and corps directors at retreat.

Where are you getting that the percussion judges are the same as prelims?

• Thanks 1

Finals hasn’t started yet and I’m already having withdrawals. This season flew by!

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I really love the ending to BD, but I sort of feel like they made some staging missteps this year. The main story telling stage is just so far away from the crowd, the scale is all wrong.

Kind of how I felt about Scouts’ Judas show, you had to squint to see what was going on.

The Tempest and Dreams shows did a great job of pushing the main story milestones front and center, so you could be drawn through the show. Same with Session 44, you literally couldn’t get Olivia closer to the front line for most of the night, amd at times she is on a stage with the corps pointing to her to make sure the crowd knows where to focus.

Nighthawks is such a cool idea, but the story is all over the place visually, so you never really get much of a sense of what is actually going on. The ending sort of ends. It’s really cool, but it falls flat mostly because BD spent 11 minutes dazzling you all over the field, so you sort of have to mentally piece the show back together at the end.

People complain that Vanguard doesn't use the entire field, BD doesn't march enough... yada, yada, yada. I feel BD's HUGEMONGOUS set is positioned as to give a forward stage and still provide a backdrop to an amazing storyline, unlike Jagged Edge that impeded flow. Nighthawks evolves while "Tempest" moved and ended in a similar position, I believe. Finally, the turnaround of the horns to "see" the end picture is perfect IMO. Do it Devils 

• Like 1

I don’t complain about using the whole field unless a corps basically tries to trick us into not noticing that their corps can’t sync outside the 30s. 

I have certainly criticized BD for limiting their high demand playing sections to largely stand alone staging. But I don’t think that is unique to BD, and I think at some point designers simply have to choose between having insane books vs easier books that can be performed cleanly while marching. A lot of the most challenging playing stuff that the elite corps are putting on the field just cannot be played cleanly while marching. BD, FWIW, has erred on the side of technical achievement vs GE, if you can put it that way.

Im less focused in this now because I feel as though judges have begun to truly value concept and overall design, or at least equally. DCI is no longer largely a technical exposition, it’s more of a show now, and if the best overall impact comes from less drill but more staging concepts that accentuate the music, all the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I don’t expect a surprise for first. SCV will be crowned.

Not so sure there couldn’t  be a swap for second and third. Pretty close last night.

Four through seven will probably be the same order, though I wouldn’t bet the farm on it. It could be interesting since Crown, BAC, and Cavies have always been known to turn up the heat at finals. I’m hoping a corps with fire in its show heats things up in more ways than one. BAC’s guard will probably be amazing since they are in contention for the Zingali, a bit ironic if Boston Crusaders win an award named in honor of an instructor who marched with 27th Lancers when 27th and BAC were heated rivals. Cadets were underscored last night, at least in my opinion. To me, Thursday night was all about being there, which was a major reason for the response of the crowd, last night’s response was the show itself though a gold and maroon Cadet didn’t hurt things either for those of us who are nostalgic, tonight will be a combination. I don’t expect them to clip 4-6, a close call is not out of the question. 

Eight through twelve may not change. Mandarins and PR could switch places, though Mandarins have momentum on their side.

I feel The Cadets were scored about right. It is a great show despite the upheaval they faced. GE wise they are weaker than those corps above them. 

12 minutes ago, whitedj2002 said:

People complain that Vanguard doesn't use the entire field, BD doesn't march enough... yada, yada, yada. I feel BD's HUGEMONGOUS set is positioned as to give a forward stage and still provide a backdrop to an amazing storyline, unlike Jagged Edge that impeded flow. Nighthawks evolves while "Tempest" moved and ended in a similar position, I believe. Finally, the turnaround of the horns to "see" the end picture is perfect IMO. Do it Devils 

You know what would have been cool? If the show ended with the set front and center, and the corps disappeared behind the set. That would have been crazy GE.

Ive seen this show several times in several settings and imho it’s just too far away from the crowd. It is huge, but the figures are so small that you can’t really even tell what is happening.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2