10 More Years in Indy

at this stage, it would take an act of God to move it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

At the Friends breakfast. Dan just stated that they’ll have another 10 more years in Indy.  The city has asked them to stay for another 10.   

Thanks, you had to remind us of that didn't you?  Maybe some day, the tour could be tweaked to allow using a different enclosed stadium in other parts of the country or outdoors in Cali.

• Like 4

NOOOOOO!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

NOOOOOO!  

YESSSSSS!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

At the Friends breakfast. Dan just stated that they’ll have another 10 more years in Indy.  The city has asked them to stay for another 10.  

Dan also acknowledged the safety of members and all. 

Interesting the city asked them to stay. DCI would not be a major employer. As far as conventions/events go, DCI does fill the hotels, I suppose the restaurants do well, and finals attracts a respectable crowd, but unless you arrive early, you don’t have time for the touristy atttactions, the shopping, or the things that really bring in the bucks. I know that people taking advantage of the whole city is what Boston, Philadelphia, and New York hope for with conventions.

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Interesting the city asked them to stay.

That could be spun in various ways. Indy isn't going to not want them to stay. But it may not be officials were on their knees begging for it, which is the way a DCI leader might want it to seem.

1 minute ago, mjoakes said:

That could be spun in various ways. Indy isn't going to not want them to stay. But it may not be officials were on their knees begging for it, which is the way a DCI leader might want it to seem.

I don’t think they would want them to leave, But I agree they were probably not begging them to stay. Though there have been a few problems at Lucas Oil Stadium, a security person I spoke with said DCI and BOA are the easiest crowds to handle. The people are friendly, the kids are polite, the stadium is not filled with trash. The hotels have to be happy too. It just that the conventions cities court usually have enough down time that the city businesses do well and finals weekend doesn’t have that opportunity unless you skip SoundSport on Saturday, which is where I’ll soon be headed.

• Like 1

I know a couple of years ago DCI signed a deal that would keep Championships at LOS through 2028. Does the OP mean that the Championships deal now goes through 2038?

Modern drum corps shows are created for climate controlled indoor stadiums. Outdoor venues, with uneven marching and performing surfaces (natural grass), and being at the mercy of the weather gods don't vibe with the types of shows that corps are creating, currently. It makes perfect sense to keep the major shows indoors.

• Like 4