Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 minute ago, leadsop04 said:

Here's a question to semi get us back on topic:

Why are so many drum corps trying to get "a big name" instead of some young fresh talent that are hungry to climb the ranks?

Look at Mandarins going from 17th to 10th in two years with a relatively unknown design team on the visual side. I mean that in absolutely no disrespect to these people!! They did amazing work!!! My point being if Mandarins had went with "big names" and not getting their 100% attention would they even be in the place they are in competivitely? 

I could see the desirability of getting these big names but some drum corps have nothing else to lose. Why not double down and try to win the jackpot like Mandarins? Good design is good design regardless of the name attached to it.

big name or no name really isnt what works.

its the team, and how they fit together. Cadets run...mostly the same faces. Same for BD since 94, Cavies mid 80's til 11...yeah pieces changed, but the replacements came in because they fit. 

22 minutes ago, leadsop04 said:

Here's a question to semi get us back on topic:

Why are so many drum corps trying to get "a big name" instead of some young fresh talent that are hungry to climb the ranks?

Look at Mandarins going from 17th to 10th in two years with a relatively unknown design team on the visual side. I mean that in absolutely no disrespect to these people!! They did amazing work!!! My point being if Mandarins had went with "big names" while not getting their 100% attention would they even be in the place they are in competivitely? 

I could see the desirability of getting these big names but some drum corps have nothing else to lose. Why not double down and try to win the jackpot like Mandarins? Good design is good design regardless of the name attached to it.

It's always a gamble IMO...obviously one that has paid off with HUGE dividends for the Mandarins from a competitive standpoint...

28 minutes ago, Sideways said:

No drinking and posting in this thread.

Aware you kidding me? That’s the only way I post!

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

its the team, and how they fit together. Cadets run...mostly the same faces. Same for BD since 94, Cavies mid 80's til 11...yeah pieces changed, but the replacements came in because they fit. 

This is why Alabama football has been so successful.  The vision comes from the top and people are brought in that can fit within that framework.  New ideas and fresh concepts are expected and welcomed, but those that can't work within Nick Saban's process don't stay.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Yeah we may all hate it...but we visit it every year.  Like the good gossip mongers that we are.  LOL.  I do wish though,  that instead of rumor and innuendo, what is written has some basis in fact.  Maybe no "sorta" name dropping where the inference is left out there without a name.  Like "hey a corps from the (name the region) was doing such and such".  well if you go so far as to spread the rumor, state facts or say nothing until you have facts.

There is a corps that comes out of the furniture manufacturing areas that is bringing in a new lounging director. :lol:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Aware you kidding me? That’s the only way I post!

agreed. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

This.