Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 hour ago, leadsop04 said:

Why are so many drum corps trying to get "a big name" instead of some young fresh talent that are hungry to climb the ranks?

it's the same attitude i see from veteran teachers and administrators in public education. they'd rather hire somebody with a proven history of knowing what they're doing than take a chance on having to train somebody who becomes needy. 

not sure i agree with it, but i've never had final decisions for hiring. 

unfortunately, the example you gave about the mandarins is the exception, not the rule.  but hey, maybe if more corps were willing to take chances, it would become more normal. 

i'd like to hear from some people on here who marched or were fans in the 70s and 80s when there were tons more corps.

6 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This.

The perfect example of "this" is when someone builds something organic. They have home trained and alumni that are invested in the future. Some new faces that fit can be brought in and usually there are connections to those folks that make it a good fit. 

I'm trying to remember from my fuzzy tech brain about Star and what was done back in the day - there was much talk about them and how it would not work. They were the exception to be sure - that had to do with time and money. They had the money to make time. They were not just a flash in the pan so to speak. Cook had money to make it go long term and the business sense along with deep pockets to set up a semi business. 

I'm still a bit disappointed they decided to take the ball and go home. Even if I did not like them back in the day. It was more of a personal thing about them having the money etc. nothing about the quality and show they performed. Yeah DINO I know. papa was a rolling stone. :united:

6 minutes ago, Lance said:

it's the same attitude i see from veteran teachers and administrators in public education. they'd rather hire somebody with a proven history of knowing what they're doing than take a chance on having to train somebody who becomes needy. 

not sure i agree with it, but i've never had final decisions for hiring. 

unfortunately, the example you gave about the mandarins is the exception, not the rule.  but hey, maybe if more corps were willing to take chances, it would become more normal. 

i'd like to hear from some people on here who marched or were fans in the 70s and 80s when there were tons more corps.

Another thread is mentioning lower World Class re-positioning by Open Class corps other than SCVC and BDB; Spartans and Gold are two corps where young faculty is having a positive impact. Music City is a World Class example of where "not the usual names" are designing enjoyable shows.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MikeN said:

I just said over in the other thread, for so long Boerma *was* the Madison sound.   Here's hoping they can reinvent themselves.

Mike

for sure

his arrangements from 93-97 are a gold standard, and his original music has always been top notch

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, E3D said:

The perfect example of "this" is when someone builds something organic. They have home trained and alumni that are invested in the future. Some new faces that fit can be brought in and usually there are connections to those folks that make it a good fit. 

I'm trying to remember from my fuzzy tech brain about Star and what was done back in the day - there was much talk about them and how it would not work. They were the exception to be sure - that had to do with time and money. They had the money to make time. They were not just a flash in the pan so to speak. Cook had money to make it go long term and the business sense along with deep pockets to set up a semi business. 

I'm still a bit disappointed they decided to take the ball and go home. Even if I did not like them back in the day. It was more of a personal thing about them having the money etc. nothing about the quality and show they performed. Yeah DINO I know. papa was a rolling stone. :united:

Ugh?  Star of Indiana is the perfect example of going after big names to gain success (Zingali, Prime, DeLucia, Van Doren, Brubaker) in a way somewhat parallel to current Boston Crusaders. But just as Star developed younger talent who impact us still today (Harloffs, Todd Ryan, eg.) so Boston is doing with a very young but talented tech staff in brass, guard and percussion especially. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lance said:

70s and 80s when there were tons more corps

1), I go back to the 60's when the baby boomers filled the corps there were more of us = more corps

2). I go back to the 60's where their would be less corps showing up for nationals than we had this year in Indy. Got to show up to be counted in my book.

Half Full or Half Empty

How wonderful it is to have all these corps today. Your not missing anything. The youth today didn't need to be Boomers!!!!!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lance said:

The 27th Lancers  ( Revere, Ma. )in the late 70's were a rising Drum Corps rising up thru the ranks. Corps Director George Bonfiglio took a risk.. a huge risk... with a young former alum of the Corps who kept badgering George to let him write the drill for the 27th Lancers. The guy was still in his 20's at the time .Why take a risk with that... especially at such a young age ? But Bonfiglio looked at his drill plan sketches, and took that risk. The Corps later almost won it all in 1980, finishing 2nd to the Blue Devils by less than 4 tenths, winning GE Visuals.

'Best move Bonfiglio ever made for his Corps on the Visuals side, as George Zingali over the years that followed turned out pretty good in writing the Visuals for Corps/ MB's/ WGI units.:xmas:

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Corps later almost won it all in 1980,

Went to the Olympics that year. A huge feather in their cap. Oh forgot they already had the feather. A great honor how's that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Howard Weinstein is out at the Colts, per his Facebook page.

:unhappy:

He did a good job as their chief designer, as evidenced by how much "True Believer" grew this past season (they finished with their highest score since 2014). But the Colts are a really well-run organization that has made some smart hires in recent years, so I trust that they'll make the best choice possible in the search for their next Program Coordinator.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1