Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

53 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

but it's not accurate to claim that their improvement, in very material ways, isn't related to this hiring of established staff members from other corps. 

True. And to be clear, no one has said otherwise on here either. Boston improved its staff quality ( and marcher talent ) by going outside its current ranks at the end of the 2016 season. I would imagine that Corps that intend to move up in 2019 from 2018 will likely do the same this off season too, Slingerland... including with their marcher talent too. They'll bolster staff and marcher talent by going " outside " their ranks, and not do so internally for the most part either. Look at all the staff resignations on the current" merri-go round" thread. Where do we suppose the staff replacements will come from with all these Corps ?  "  In house ", or ": hiring established staff from other Corps " ? You tell me. Nothing new here. It happens EVERY year, where staff/ marchers change Corps within DCI. Staff by the multiple dozens. Marchers by the hundreds. I'm not trying to go hard with you on this, Slingerland.. just to point out that Corps going outside for staff replacements and marchers is certainly nothing new here, nor unique to Boston. The only thing unique to this might be the quality of the staff Boston recently brought in, but  certainly not the fact they did so. Changing Corps is actually the norm for 90% of these DCI Corps in every off season, Slingerland. Some have more staff replacements from outside than others, but most all have them to one degree or the other from year to year.

Edited by BRASSO

25 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Incidentally, the notion that inexperienced, young people can't write great shows. great music that'll place well/ be entertaining is something we really don't know... one way or the other, imo. Most Corps mgt do tend to become risk avoidance with the risks they are willing to take on with new, young, unproven show designers, music arrangers, visual designers, program coordinators. I suppose thats understandable when we are now talking million dollar revenue budgets on the line with these show creations.

On the other hand, if a Corps is not in the Top 12-14 or so, why not take a chance ? There are examples of young, unproven, people doing amazing placement successful shows in the past in DCI.  So its not like we don't have examples of where its been done successfully in the past.

It's funny how many are talking about Mandarins meteoric rise into the top 12 with unknown staff...my question is WHERE was this unknown staff trained and by whom?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Liahona said:

It's funny how many are talking about Mandarins meteoric rise into the top 12 with unknown staff...my question is WHERE was this unknown staff trained and by whom?

Good question/ point, Liahona

Edited by BRASSO

53 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

but it's not accurate to claim that their improvement, in very material ways, isn't related to this hiring of established staff members from other corps. They could, and they did, and good on 'em.

This is accurate and it is nothing different than what many OTHER top tier corps have done for years...perhaps not so many at once and in such an overt fashion ( these staff's travel in packs though)...that aspect I'd agree was pretty much unprecedented IMO...

Edited by Liahona

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This is accurate and it is nothing different than what many OTHER top tier corps have done for years...perhaps not so many at once and in such an overt fashion ( these staff's travel in packs though)...that aspect I'd agree was pretty much unprecedented IMO...

and it was that simultaneous pack move that was the parallel with Star which I was drawing upon:  Prime, Van Doren, Zingali, and Hannum all moved from Cadets at once, just like McNutt and front ensemble techs and Gino and techs to Boston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Boston lost staffers/ marchers to other Corps for decades. Nary a peep out of Boston with it. Its just the way the game is played, and has been since the beginning. Boston has learned to play the game better of late that all. Good for them to see this reversal of their predicament of late, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and it was that simultaneous pack move that was the parallel with Star which I was drawing upon:  Prime, Van Doren, Zingali, and Hannum all moved from Cadets at once, just like McNutt and front ensemble techs and Gino and techs to Boston.

Thom didn't go to Star until partially through the 1991 season. 

On 8/12/2018 at 3:10 PM, BrassTeacher said:

They haven't totally erased me yet:

https://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-announce-2017-brass-staff-2/

It is amusing to me how this is considered "news", it is irritating to me that there seems to be some implication that I should have been/have been let go. The amusement comes from the fact that I came home a little after Memorial Day. It seems a combination of altitude and blood pressure was making both ankles swell significantly, and the next week the corps was going to be a few thousand feet higher in elevation. So I went home for awhile. After getting home, I found out one of my cats has inoperable cancer in his sinus passages (He's fine and happy right now, as long as one of us is here to give him his pain medication exactly every 8 hours). 

The Blue Knights is a wonderful organization, with wonderful kids (Let's face it, EVERY corps has wonderful kids!), and a great administration! I enjoyed my time there immensely. That said, I am looking for a new home that does not require spending large amounts of time at 5,280 feet above sea level.

If any of you have read this far, please remember folks that you are not only discussing real human beings here, but real human beings with real lives, and involved in an activity that they are very passionate about.

Can we see the cat?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Regarding your first sentence, my memories instantly turned to Michael Klesch being given the reins at 23 or 24 when the Cadets had no arranger and look at what resulted.

On the visual side, I think of George Bonfiglio's risk and reward in letting young George Zingali write 27th's memorable drills.

DCI itself took a risk on George Oliviero in the early formation of DCI itself in the 70's. Oliviero wasn't much past age 30, if at all, when DCI gave him the reigns to pretty much single handedly write the GE Captions that were then voted on, and passed by the Corps, for its implementation in DCI judging. George Oliviero was judging on Finals Night at around 30 years of age too. There are other examples of the young being given heady responsibilities in DCI. Just not so much lately, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1