Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

Regarding your first sentence, my memories instantly turned to Michael Klesch being given the reins at 23 or 24 when the Cadets had no arranger and look at what resulted.

On the visual side, I think of George Bonfiglio's risk and reward in letting young George Zingali write 27th's memorable drills.

Good examples.

Keep in mind that Phantom Regiment hired Michael Klesch to replace Jim Wren. Michael was the Brass Arranger in 2000 and 2001. His arrangements for the 2000 program Masters of Mystique - Dawn of Modern Music included Jeux by Debussy, Petrouchka and Rite of Spring by Stravinsky and, my favorite, Transfigured Night by Schoenberg. A true young talent then and still a talent.

Edited by 1956OPR
Thanks to Tim K, to correct the years in which Mr Klesch was Brass Arranger..
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Boston lost staffers/ marchers to other Corps for decades. Nary a peep out of Boston with it. Its just the way the game is played, and has been since the beginning. Boston has learned to play the game better of late that all. Good for them to see this reversal of their predicament of late, imo.

Yes I agree with you.  My point that I was referring to be almost unprecedented was that it was a total staff overhaul (short of a few ) not just a name or two ...We are talking MASSIVE change here...The brass, percussion, guard, visual AND the design team were completely changed all at once...not just a trickle here and there...They did keep their brass arranger and a few other techs, but that was about it... 

As far as marching talent from those other corps ( if one wants to argue poaching)...any of that was done by the new staff itself and not by the Boston Crusaders administration or the organization.  The beef should be logged with the staffers and not Boston or its fans in that regard.  I recently saw a guard picture in which Michael Townsend thanked 7 age outs that came with him, so in that aspect, I understand the saltiness that is coming from the Crown fans.  That said, they have also received benefits from dozens of BAC talented folks and other corps talent over the years as well.  The only real unique aspect about this was some guard members moved from a winning guard to an unproven one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Hopefully the Blue Stars can pick up a top notch percussion staff to compliment the stellar brass section they have. 

The question nowadays is what top PIW staff is not teaching a corps?  Members follow staff members (bet Boston has alot of old Cadets drummers and the pulse connection when Mapes and Grom came) so you need a homerun.

34 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Yes I agree with you.  My point that I was referring to be almost unprecedented was that it was a total staff overhaul (short of a few ) not just a name or two ...We are talking MASSIVE change here...The brass, percussion, guard, visual AND the design team were completely changed all at once...not just a trickle here and there...They did keep their brass arranger and a few other techs, but that was about it... 

.  That said, they have also received benefits from dozens of BAC talented folks and other corps talent over the years as well.  The only real unique aspect about this was some guard members moved from a winning guard to an unproven one.

True.. on your 1st paragraph. I agree, Liahona.. it was a huge staff overhaul.

2nd paragraph.. 'agree as well... staffers in certain captions too have moved from one Corps to another , and because of familiarity and instruction, some marchers have followed that instructor to his/ her new Corps ( like BAC in Guard lately ). Happens a lot over the decades too. Paul Rennick, Percussion instructor, also comes to mind. Rennick went from Phantom Regiment to SCV... Several x Percussionists from Phantom, still age eligible, followed him to SCV to then march there. 

Edited by BRASSO

34 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Hopefully the Blue Stars can pick up a top notch percussion staff to compliment the stellar brass section they have. 

They will. Looking forward to the announcements next month. 

36 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

The question nowadays is what top PIW staff is not teaching a corps?  Members follow staff members (bet Boston has alot of old Cadets drummers and the pulse connection when Mapes and Grom came) so you need a homerun.

not so much as one would think.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:16 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Mapes and Grom

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1