Sound crew should be considered members and should be under 21.

This WOULD be a cool position and opportunity but sound design is so sensitive and finicky, best to leave it to professionals. Also, we don't need any more member crucification when something inevitably goes wrong. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

I agree, and this is just another way that the activity has lost its soul.  Also widens the gap between the “haves” and the “have nots”.  But the “haves” will never give this up.

Is it really though? The activity is more competitive now than it has been in a couple decades

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

You're right, but it's not going to happen. 

Not only the paid pit crew. How about the voice overs of unknown and unseen singers should they meet the age limit? Now we see supporting horns that blast out of the speakers when the horns on the field are down. Are we going to "It's OK" ourselves till we have lip sync corps, will we even notice? Don't get me wrong I am OK with what I heard last week, not complaining just wondering where all this is going. 

considering there's thousands of schools that have audio design and reinforcement programs across the united states, canada, and across the pond...  you can find excellent students, well trained, that would be happy to design, schlepp, and operate live sound on tour literally anywhere in the world now.  

I think it's a good idea.  It's a judged activity after all.  This would be a GREAT venue to learn how to do this.  I think it's win win.

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

Is it really though? The activity is more competitive now than it has been in a couple decades

Sure it is.  Adding four more paid staff members, feeding them, moving them around the country, not to mention the fancy equipment.  That’s an additional significant burden that any corps wanting to bev”competitive” now must take on.

And all off this is to manufacture a version of sound that the performers apparently can’t create without them.  What’s the point of all of this expense?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Not only the paid pit crew. How about the voice overs of unknown and unseen singers should they meet the age limit? Now we see supporting horns that blast out of the speakers when the horns on the field are down. Are we going to "It's OK" ourselves till we have lip sync corps, will we even notice? Don't get me wrong I am OK with what I heard last week, not complaining just wondering where all this is going. 

In live theater, if we want to use a voice of someone not on the cast, our agreement with the actors' union requires us to get permission from them and pay an extra (and substantial) fee to do so, because we're taking away work from one of their members. (Exceptions are made, on a limited basis, for the use of archival recordings of famous voices where substituting a live actor would be too jarring.)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Sure it is.  Adding four more paid staff members, feeding them, moving them around the country, not to mention the fancy equipment.  That’s an additional significant burden that any corps wanting to bev”competitive” now must take on.

And all off this is to manufacture a version of sound that the performers apparently can’t create without them.  What’s the point of all of this expense?

Is someone putting a gun to other corps heads and telling them they HAVE to follow suit to be competitive? Can someone point to a corps that was deemed not "competitive" (whatever that means) due to no electronics or minimal use of electronics? 

20 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

our agreement with the actors' union

Along those same lines. Now to long ago dci would have media copywrite worked out before San Antonio and offer licensed downloads that you would purchase. Now we need to feel guilty (or at least I do) streaming current shows off YT. Waiting for dci to get around to doing their job is frustrating holding out to almost Christmas every year. Although I look forward to getting them as a gift from my son. 

Don't all corps agree to the rules on electronics? I don't understand the anti-competitive complaints whenever the cost of electronics comes up