Some stats and tidbits about 2018 now that we're done

My apologies if any of these has been covered in other threads (too busy/tired to read all of them).

Congrats to SCV for winning their 7th overall title to tie the Cavaliers for third most all time. They also received their 23rd overall medal to tie the Cadets for 2nd most all time.

The Blue Devils received the silver for the record 11th time.

The Bluecoats won their 3rd bronze and 5th overall medal to tie the Madison Scouts for 7th most all time.

Boston wins their first caption award of any kind.

SCV wins their first Brass trophy since 1987, and only 3rd all time (also won in '84).

SCV wins their 14th percussion title breaking a tie with the Blue Devils for most all time.

Crossmen's 86.75 was the highest 12th place score ever at finals (previous was also Crossmen in 2014)

And finally, here are our current 10 years averages for finals placements:

1 - Blue Devils (1.4)

2 - Carolina Crown (3.0)

3 - Bluecoats (4.1)

4 - Cadets (4.3)

4 - Vanguard (4.3)

6 - Cavaliers (5.4)

7- Phantom Regiment (7.1)

8 - BAC (8.2)

9 - Blue Knights (8.9)

10 - Blue Stars (9.9)

11 - Madison Scouts (11.3)

12 - Crossmen (13.3)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Crossmen set themselves up for that records 12th place Finals score by getting the record 12th place Semifinals score on Friday, but that one had stood since 1998.

Another thing I was considering... and of course this is a far more subjective topic, but..... which corps is the 2nd best corps overall in the DCI era? Number one (BD)  is of course a no brainier by nearly every metric, but I believe good arguments can be made for both The Cadets and SCV for 2nd. Cadets have more titles (10 to 7), but  SCV has the better average finish (3.8 to 5.2) and overall finals appearances (47 to 41). I find this interesting because the rest of the top 5 rankings I think are pretty straightforward.

My top 10 corps of the DCI era

1 - Blue Devils

2 - Cadets/SCV

4 - Cavaliers

5 - Phantom Regiment

It gets a little tougher after this, but I would rank the rest of the top 10:

6 - Madison Scouts

7 - Bluecoats

8 - Carolina Crown

9 - Star of Indiana

10 - Crossmen

Though Crown, Bluecoats, and Star each have one title, Bluecoats has had the most longevity, and Star the least. 10th is especially tough and you could also consider 27th Lancers (several top 5 finishes), Kingsmen (championship but only 3 really decent years), Spirit (longevity), or even BAC (longevity) for the spot. I went with Crossmen because they have had the best longevity of all the ones just mentioned. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tez said:

SCV wins their 14th percussion title breaking a tie with the Blue Devils for most all time.

Like English were hoping for in the World Cup, SCV Jonz brought it home, and the Trophy with the name that encapsulates the standard that SCV percussion is fulfilling. Bravo and well done.

58 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

13 straight medals for BD - that's got to be a record, right? They'd previously medaled from 94-04

If not for Dance Derby, it would’ve been an even more impressive streak.

However, the trade off was Phantom receiving their first medal in almost a decade.

• Like 1

I think #10 would probably be Crossmen but you might want to look at average placement and number of finals appearances to narrow it down between a few corps.

This year marks the first time since 2014 (and the very first time for the SCV organization) that a World Class corps and its Open Class feeder won their respective divisions' championships in the same season.