Scv - a new era?

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/6001486-staff-changes-rapidly-hitting-dci

Quick google search for this article on Flo...Weber temporarily stepping aside for a newborn.  If plans have changed since then there has been no public announcement.  Until then I will just enjoy the youtube videos of this season.

• Like 1

Weber is my favorite drill designer, followed closely by Gaines. I'm fine however this shakes out, though from both I'd like to see a little more of their mid 00s work come back to light.

Until proven otherwise it's BD's world and everyone else is living in it.

As I have said before I would love to see a completely unpredictable top 6 or heck even 9 or 10 every year, but it's not going to happen.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

The distance travelled while marching and playing simultaneously is laughable for this mello.

...and I'd wager many of us would trade places with them in a heartbeat...

• Like 2

Regarding the mello not moving/playing a ton, this is just smart designing.

There's an episode of Binging with Babish where he makes lemon pepper seasoning from scratch, and by the end says there's no discernible difference between the hours of work he put into his creation v. the $2.99 store bought seasoning.

This is exactly what I think when I hear about a championship show where members may or may not have had easier drill. I don't care about the difficulty, I care about the show. Granted, difficult often can translate into cool, but it doesn't always have to be difficult to look cool, and not everything difficult looks cool. Cool looks cool. If a designer can get there without having its members march/play too much, that means they're going to get fatigued less. This isn't lazy or easy, it's efficient!

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Regarding the mello not moving/playing a ton, this is just smart designing.

There's an episode of Binging with Babish where he makes lemon pepper seasoning from scratch, and by the end says there's no discernible difference between the hours of work he put into his creation v. the $2.99 store bought seasoning.

This is exactly what I think when I hear about a championship show where members may or may not have had easier drill. I don't care about the difficulty, I care about the show. Granted, difficult often can translate into cool, but it doesn't always have to be difficult to look cool, and not everything difficult looks cool. Cool looks cool. If a designer can get there without having its members march/play too much, that means they're going to get fatigued less. This isn't lazy or easy, it's efficient!

It should show up on the sheets though.

It’s like a guard spinning well, but with no body underneath.

1 hour ago, Minimaster said:

It should show up on the sheets though.

It’s like a guard spinning well, but with no body underneath.

Demand is on the sheets, right? Marching/playing isn't the only thing that determines demand. On that note, if the sheets need to be updated to account for demand differently, the corps (especially those at the top) will adjust. But SCV, like several corps (this decade especially) looked at the sheets/rubric and found the best way to score the highest within that box. It's all in how you play the game.

Also, hey seat partner!