Scv - a new era?

6 hours ago, Minimaster said:

The distance travelled while marching and playing simultaneously is laughable for this mello.

Maybe this guy was just really fit or something, but I've watched quite a few horn cams over the years and this is easily the least out of breath I've ever seen someone be during the course of a show 

On 8/13/2018 at 10:44 PM, Fran Haring said:

A friend who marched in that corps that year calls the tune "A Long Walk Off A Short Pier."  :tongue:

Yeah... I also referred to it as that in the "ABC's Of Modern Music" program BITD.....:innocent:

Though I do have to say the original piece is a brilliant modern work and when done well, exciting and intoxicating at moments. A lot of good performances of it on YT and spirited debate about the interpretation of it of various conductors. Marin Alsop's version is quite good... Personally, I also like the Swedish Radio Symphony orchestra's version, especially when the Lead Trumpet fist-pumps after nailing the High D at the end...

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BigW said:

Yeah... I also referred to it as that in the "ABC's Of Modern Music" program BITD.....:innocent:

Though I do have to say the original piece is a brilliant modern work and when done well, exciting and intoxicating at moments. A lot of good performances of it on YT and spirited debate about the interpretation of it of various conductors. Marin Alsop's version is quite good... Personally, I also like the Swedish Radio Symphony orchestra's version, especially when the Lead Trumpet fist-pumps after nailing the High D at the end...

I've never heard the original before. That was fun!

Side note: it's normal at this point to hear a drum corps play classical music, but it still always feels bizarre and too tame to hear 'drum corps music' (ie music I first heard in a drum corps setting) played classically.

• Like 1

Just found Metropolis 1927 on Youtube.  What a fantastic rendition SCV did - incredibly faithful to the original.  I know BD used part of this as well - the middle section should have been their ballad.  Very jazzy without being jazz.

Anyways, kudos to SCV, as they did a fantastic job with the music book this year.  I can't wait to see what they come up with next!

Mike

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 3:09 PM, KVG_DC said:

How much does VC feed into the World Class corps?  I remember when BD did a two-fer in 2014 people were talking about that and someone mentioned that a good number of BDB marchers don't go into the A corps, or at least not directly.  

Actually when I made the comment about VC, I was referring more to the dynasty factor... meaning great quality from top to bottom, not so much that VC MMs would transition into the A corps.  Clearly, SCV can get whoever they want at this point!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 5:49 PM, TRacer said:

A number a 2017 VC kids auditioned, a few made it. My son actually touched on this when he called me after Finals as he had spoken to two of his ‘17 brass buddies that were in the ‘18 A-corps line. Both his buddies talked about how vastly different the social environment was, and that ‘17 VC to ‘18 A-corps wasn’t an easy transition at all. They were their own support group. It was a mixed bag— in the beginning they felt and were treated like outcasts, but they worked extra hard and things gradually improved. I was stunned and saddened when my son told me this, but he added the same elements existed during the 2017 Rose Parade gig he did which was a mix of VC, A and alums.

Let’s face it: social brutality happens. But, IF the nexus of that brutality is indeed rooted in a high school level “Oh, you only marched the Cadet corps (rolls eyes)” mentality in other MMs and/or staff members then perhaps the organization hasn’t progressed as much as I thought. 

Very true words. SCV A-Corp was my son's first foray into DCI after coming from a very successful HS band program. The first 2-3 days, he called and said "I think I made a mistake. I feel like I don't belong here." But he's resilient and powered thru and once he had the trust of his corp mates and the staff...he was loving it. He's already hinted at doing it again in 2019. Of course being a world champ helps that adrenaline level. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 10:16 PM, bluesman said:

I loved Santa Clara's show this year, but not nearly as much as I loved Ouroboros. The lack of drill and limited field coverage was something that I had not expected from SCV.  Babylon was brilliantly staged, but I hope the fact that it got them a World Championship doesn't cause other corps to follow with programs confined to a small part of the field.  Blue Devils victories over the last decade and a half were done with programs that utilized props that framed the parts of the field where they performed.   But let's not forget that prior to that the Cadets and Cavaliers won with fast paced drills that covered the field to a much greater degree.  Changes in the rules have put body movements and dance on par with drill.  

If winning or moving up the ranks like SCV has done means a performing on an ever diminishing stage then Drum Corps might end looking more like Blast than an actual field show. I hope not.

Not entirely true. In the staging of the ballad, you had the mello's going back and forth from left to right. Go back to that point in a yew toob video and look at the field coverage. One soloist on the 20 yd line side 2, the other on the 20 yd line side 1 and the fill was fairly comprehensive and lots of guard everywhere. They did use the field between the 35's as more of a stage front and center, but it fit with what they were doing. As far as field coverage, they just moved so fast...few noticed how they expanded and contracted. Just my thoughts.