The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Good points. No. 1 will happen automatically now that the staff can plan a full off-season without interference from people who are not designers. 

No. 2 has everything to do with how demanding the product is, how much of it you teach from day 1 (think of how BD builds their shows and usually starts with a sketch), and the experience of the marchers along with other design issues.  This is the big one.  The Cadets will have to determine what direction they plan to go visually.  It's apparent what Bluecoats, BD, and SCV have done...and Crown. Once they decide they will need a process for off-season and the competitive season.

No. 3 should not be an issue. Good to hear they have smaller number of age outs, but I believe after the hard work they did this summer to refine the 2018 show that they should attract a lot of young talent.  If so, that will be a good sign. 

No. 4 will continue to be a positive. By accounts it sounds like they enjoyed a fantastic summer and had fun while also working hard. Great management and a smart BoD will get you that. 

there's a lot going on with #2 that we can't discuss right now - I have all "second hand" information but it seems to add up. I'm sure they'll be some announcements once the August blockade lifts. What I'm hoping we end up with is "the best of both worlds" - VERY wgi style "staging" in parts of the show combined with classic Cadets run and gun. Done well - thats a tough visual combination to beat. The corps already took some steps toward this in 2018. 

recruitment this fall/winter is so key - they need to hit the brass side of things heavy in Texas, Virginia and the south. As you say - having a positive summer and fun show (that many young people loved (check out Reddit) will help. So will some of the offseason announcements as well as no GH

I have a lot of confidence they will put a stronger product on the field in 2019, building upon an already improved 2018

Exciting! I'm hoping for a finish in the the 4th-6th spot this coming summer - a couple more points added to that score. Each 2 pts at this level is quite substantial. 

Im

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I'm not certain what this means.  This year they used music composed in 2018 (Demonic Thesis by John Psathas) and 2008 (Ara Batur by Sigur Rós).  Granted, last year they spent the whole show in 1971, but the year before that half of the show was composed in 2006 and 2014 (Turning and Wine Dark Sea, both by John Mackey).  

Do you mean they need to explore certain specific genres of new music, such as GOT7 or Bieber (BD '15, '16) or Beck and Imogen Heap (BK '17)?   If we look at the source music used this year by the six corps above Cadets (see below), I don't see a lot of music that is necessarily newer than what Cadets have been using, and most of the new pieces are simply Brass Band or film scores, which are not really ground-breaking exploration though they will always present great source music options.  I'd say that only a very few pieces constituted new music, and I'm not sure how effective they were.   Which pieces stood out to you as new and effective this year?  What specific avenue of new music do you think Cadets should explore?

Cavaliers: 1990, 2014 (brass), 1928, 2006 (film), 1988, 2003, 2001, 1939, 2003

Boston:  1995, 2009 (band), 1983, 1937, 2000 (film), 1779

Carolina:  1887, 2014 , 2017 (band), 2013 (band), 1964, 2012, 1995

Bluecoats:  pre-1991, 1976, 1979, 2006, 1939

Blue Devils:  1944, 1939, 1988, 1967, 2016 (film), 2009, a couple pieces that are recent but I can't find dates, 1998

Santa Clara:  2010, 2005 (brass), 2014 (brass), 2014 (film), 2017

(PS - this is the type of discussion I wish we had more often here on DCP;  let's keep music as the central focus of DCI!!!)

I'm thinking (and i don't want to put words into other's mouths) that they mean new to the activity - something fresh with a new vibe or style to it. More like the newer stuff used this year or the Mackey material rather than Rocky Point or App Spring - more Copland etc

• Like 1

As we look to 2019, I wish the best for Cadets. Yes, I hope you don’t get too close to Boston Crusaders score wise, just as you hope Boston Crusaders does not get too close to you, but that’s what competition is about!

Seriously, I’ve been saying since the last camp in April all but assured Cadets would be able to field a corps, that priority number one was the summer of 2018 but the hard work of rebuilding the corps would begin after the season is over.  Many of the posts so far are taking this into account. Rebuilding trust takes a long time when it is successful. In the drum corps world, we can believe getting rid of the former director solved everything, and in many ways it has, but to the outside world that only knows the Cadets finished product, it may not be about the former director as much as an organization that had a former director accused of sexual misconduct. Huge public relations issue. 

Recruitment will be more challenging this year, not so much because of the past issues, but there is a limited pool of talent and so many excellent corps, but a solid 7th place finish against the odds will be a plus. 

Creating the old Cadets magic in an ever changing drum corps would will be a challenge too, but a good creative staff with time can solve that issue, and unlike last season there is time. 

Finances will be an issue, but that’s not my area of expertise. 

Remember, giving heartfelt standing ovations at shows is all well and good, and I know it was appreciated by the kids and no doubt staff and administration, but we need to be supportive in other ways too. The hardest and perhaps most thankless but necessary work is only just beginning.

13 minutes ago, Tim K said:

As we look to 2019, I wish the best for Cadets. Yes, I hope you don’t get too close to Boston Crusaders score wise, just as you hope Boston Crusaders does not get too close to you, but that’s what competition is about!

Seriously, I’ve been saying since the last camp in April all but assured Cadets would be able to field a corps, that priority number one was the summer of 2018 but the hard work of rebuilding the corps would begin after the season is over.  Many of the posts so far are taking this into account. Rebuilding trust takes a long time when it is successful. In the drum corps world, we can believe getting rid of the former director solved everything, and in many ways it has, but to the outside world that only knows the Cadets finished product, it may not be about the former director as much as an organization that had a former director accused of sexual misconduct. Huge public relations issue. 

Recruitment will be more challenging this year, not so much because of the past issues, but there is a limited pool of talent and so many excellent corps, but a solid 7th place finish against the odds will be a plus. 

Creating the old Cadets magic in an ever changing drum corps would will be a challenge too, but a good creative staff with time can solve that issue, and unlike last season there is time. 

Finances will be an issue, but that’s not my area of expertise. 

Remember, giving heartfelt standing ovations at shows is all well and good, and I know it was appreciated by the kids and no doubt staff and administration, but we need to be supportive in other ways too. The hardest and perhaps most thankless but necessary work is only just beginning.

Cadets through all the drama were pretty darn close to the corps ahead of them. Many thought ( including some judges )  it could or should have been even closer. I'm not sure many could have done what they did.

With that said they also stole a lot of thunder from others the past few weeks and support is actually stronger than it has been in quite a while. This will help in all areas money as well as auditions. Time will tell as always.

As others have said, next year Cadets needs to find/establish/assert their modern identity.  Without all the distractions they should be able to do this.  I also believe they will need to attract some new design talent, if they want to compete with the groups in the top 6 (definitely need a guard with more personality and interesting writing and the same with their drill/staging).

I am confident they are in good hands to make all this happen and to make the best decisions for the future of the Cadets.  

The 'taste they have left in everyone's mouths' is a positive one (as opposed to the opposite last year even before all the GH issues came to the surface) so they should be in a good place to compete for talented members.

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Cadets through all the drama were pretty darn close to the corps ahead of them. Many thought ( including some judges )  it could or should have been even closer. I'm not sure many could have done what they did.

With that said they also stole a lot of thunder from others the past few weeks and support is actually stronger than it has been in quite a while. This will help in all areas money as well as auditions. Time will tell as always.

First, I agree with what you say about scoring. Cadets were excellent on Thursday but in my opinion much stronger on Friday at semi’s, at least in my opinion, yet the scores were nearly the same. I know, different judging panel, and maybe I was on overload at prelims. I agreed with placement, not necessarily the scrores. 

Maybe I’m being cynical here, but I’m not sure that the thunderous applause will translate into more donations. Some perhaps, but not enough to cover the shortfall mentioned in other posts.

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Maybe I’m being cynical here, but I’m not sure that the thunderous applause will translate into more donations. Some perhaps, but not enough to cover the shortfall mentioned in other posts.

Maybe we need a teary-eyed video plea to raise $300,000 in 3 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

First, I agree with what you say about scoring. Cadets were excellent on Thursday but in my opinion much stronger on Friday at semi’s, at least in my opinion, yet the scores were nearly the same. I know, different judging panel, and maybe I was on overload at prelims. I agreed with placement, not necessarily the scrores. 

Well, time will tell I do know for fact so many more people are stepping up who did not in the past few years. You're right thunderous applause and well deserved doesn't necessarily mean money BUT it  can. Cadets have been through much worse in their history and always rise above then succeed. Their long history shows it, I will bet on them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Their long history shows it, I will bet on them

Thank you for betting on Cadets.  If you would also consider donating the proceeds of your wager to the Cadets, that would be greatly appreciated.  Wagers, annuities, insurance payouts, bequests,  and other financial assets can all be donated to the Cadets, not just cold cash!  Find out more ways that you, your family and friends, can give to Cadets, here!

The Cadets are a program of Youth Education in the Arts, a non-profit organization which is tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Thank you for betting on Cadets.  If you would also consider donating the proceeds of your wager to the Cadets, that would be greatly appreciated.  Wagers, annuities, insurance payouts, bequests,  and other financial assets can all be donated to the Cadets, not just cold cash!  Find out more ways that you, your family and friends, can give to Cadets, here!

The Cadets are a program of Youth Education in the Arts, a non-profit organization which is tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code

The link does it

Congrats to your son ( and You ) this was part of Cadet History

Edited by GUARDLING