The Cadets 2019

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's a difference between an NFL band and a DCI corps. And, not everyone in the region is a Ravens fan. Lots of Skins fans, as well as people puling for other teams across the country as they are transplants. I know many people that have been involved with the Ravens band, and it's a good gig, but it's not for everyone 

Yeah, I'm a Steelers fan.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's a difference between an NFL band and a DCI corps. And, not everyone in the region is a Ravens fan. Lots of Skins fans, as well as people puling for other teams across the country as they are transplants. I know many people that have been involved with the Ravens band, and it's a good gig, but it's not for everyone 

I was in the "Ravens" band when they were the Baltimore Colts Marching Band. It was great for a high school kid and a stepping stone to my DCI career. We played a lot of "corp" cadences from back in the day (staff LOVED Cabs). That said... Cadets/YEA isn't moving anywhere in the near term. Still have a nice deal for the office space in A-Town. Over the longer term they could use a facility that would also support rehearsals since housing has become so very difficult in the NE PA/NJ area for both Cadets and Cadets2.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I was in the "Ravens" band when they were the Baltimore Colts Marching Band. It was great for a high school kid and a stepping stone to my DCI career. We played a lot of "corp" cadences from back in the day (staff LOVED Cabs). That said... Cadets/YEA isn't moving anywhere in the near term. Still have a nice deal for the office space in A-Town. Over the longer term they could use a facility that would also support rehearsals since housing has become so very difficult in the NE PA/NJ area for both Cadets and Cadets2.

Still thinking about the Maryland angle, and yeah, it won't happen, but another conflict would be that Maryland schools are county level. So if the county says, "No" to rehearsing at their facilities, you lose out on 13 high schools at once in the case of Howard County. But I really wish the area was more into band / corps. Plenty of money in the area, people will not blink at doing private lessons after private lessons for their kids, it would seem idea - except for the mindset.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 10:09 PM, ranintothedoor said:

In my opinion, the strength of the band programs up in Northern Virginia is actually a deterrent for some kids because their performance level at home is so high ...

And yet in related news, I've seen at least two Northern Virginia High Schools announce within the last two weeks that they will not be able to field a Varsity Football team this fall, due to low enrollment.   If that is indeed the trend (and between cultural shifts and medical awareness, that may very well be the trend in certain parts of the country), what will it mean for the marching arts in those locations?   I doubt it will mean anything good.

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Isn’t that building part of the next year down and rebuild phase of that area?

58 minutes ago, Eleran said:

And yet in related news, I've seen at least two Northern Virginia High Schools announce within the last two weeks that they will not be able to field a Varsity Football team this fall, due to low enrollment.   If that is indeed the trend (and between cultural shifts and medical awareness, that may very well be the trend in certain parts of the country), what will it mean for the marching arts in those locations?   I doubt it will mean anything good.

Happening near Chapel Hill, NC, too. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Happening near Chapel Hill, NC, too. 

in Nova some of it is kids playing soccer vs. football (demographics)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

in Nova some of it is kids playing soccer vs. football (demographics)

Makes sense. Awareness of CTE is rising. Not sure why any parent would push their kids towards playing football 

4 hours ago, Eleran said:

Remember Millstone-Black River band in MA, many year contender with Dartmouth for USBANDS New England; the school had no football team for many years but the marching band did do parts of the show between periods for their school's soccer team.  Time for thinking outside the box and outside the locker room.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1