The Cadets 2019

31 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I hear rumors of Undiscovered Copeland.

Do you mean Stewart Copeland?  Or Aaron Copland?

That does not fill me with confidence at all.  Not only do I not feel there is much good "undiscovered" Copland out there that has not already been done (to death, in many cases), but it's simply "more of the same" as far as Cadets are concerned.

1975, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1996, 2008, 2014 ... Copland would once more be a case of Cadets looking backwards, not looking forwards.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 2

When I think of the kind of show I want to see from Cadets, the first thought came to mind, 98 Vanguard popped in my head. That felt like a new era for Vanguard. I would like to see The Cadets do something similar- a brand new era and take notice.

That's not to say "scrap the past", because I think you could pull this off with the traditional uniform. It doesn't have to be about a story. 

Here's what I want to see: Intensity. Challenging music mixed with insane fast drill. 

I've mentioned it before but it fits here: lots of corps are doing less drill and substituting it with body movement. The Cadets can still incorporate body movement but put more of an emphasis on drill. It's actually a way to set them apart from other corps and also could attract more members that would rather march difficult drill than lots of movement.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Eleran said:

That does not fill me with confidence at all.  Not only do I not feel there is much good "undiscovered" Copland out there that has not already been done (to death, in many cases), but it's simply "more of the same" as far as Cadets are concerned.

1975, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1996, 2008, 2014 ... Copland would once more be a case of Cadets looking backwards, not looking forwards.

rumors of course are not always true. Sometimes they are just idle gossip. No need to fret.......................................................................................................................................yet.

What I'm more concerned with is what planning and work is being put towards the '85 anniversary celebrations? 

While the 75th anniversary did have a number of nice occasions not everyone from Cadets history was invited, some in fact disinvited in GH's view. Some could simply not afford the luxurious tickets.

As the banquet was slated for the same night of the two night Allentown contest (the one and only time many corps fans can see all the corps without airfares/hotels/car rentals to Atlanta, San Antonio, and Indy,) there was an unofficial gathering of Cadets fans in the Allentown stands: volunteers, alums, parents, sponsorees and former staffers who munched over homemade sandwiches and bottles of water while the official gathering was going on under Hopkins' direction up Monmouth Mountain. The second group were as loyal and faithful to the Cadets as the first, but their pockets weren't as deep after paying tour fees, college tuitions, and other real costs. I hope they are included in the 85th celebrations and that sometime other than the DCI regional at Allentown weekend is chosen. Otherwise this dichotomy sets up Friends and F.O.E., and this thread begins to sound like Madison's.

Edited by xandandl

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

What I'm more concerned with is what planning and work is being put towards the '85 anniversary celebrations? 

I'm fine with Cadets going out of their way to continue bringing back all alumni to the fold, but when did the number "85" take on an important meaning?   Are we at the point where every fifth season now has to be referred to as an anniversary show?  I guess if the marketing department wants to use that angle for its thing, that's ok, but I hope it won't have any bearing on show design or performance pressure.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Do you mean Stewart Copeland?  Or Aaron Copland?

Depends on how it’s done

11 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I'm fine with Cadets going out of their way to continue bringing back all alumni to the fold, but when did the number "85" take on an important meaning?   Are we at the point where every fifth season now has to be referred to as an anniversary show?  I guess if the marketing department wants to use that angle for its thing, that's ok, but I hope it won't have any bearing on show design or performance pressure.

in the contemporary world of drum corps economics, I think every milestone year becomes both symbolic and challenging. Somewhat like marriage anniversaries. If the year has been tough, marking the memories and the milestone becomes special even if Hallmark doesn't produce a laudatory card. I agree with you about the field show. Just design a good one.

15 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Let’s be honest.... how many corps are looking year 85 in the eye? Especially since 84 almost ended it all, market the hell out of 85

• Like 2

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

When I think of the kind of show I want to see from Cadets, the first thought came to mind, 98 Vanguard popped in my head. That felt like a new era for Vanguard. I would like to see The Cadets do something similar- a brand new era and take notice.

That's not to say "scrap the past", because I think you could pull this off with the traditional uniform. It doesn't have to be about a story. 

Here's what I want to see: Intensity. Challenging music mixed with insane fast drill. 

I've mentioned it before but it fits here: lots of corps are doing less drill and substituting it with body movement. The Cadets can still incorporate body movement but put more of an emphasis on drill. It's actually a way to set them apart from other corps and also could attract more members that would rather march difficult drill than lots of movement.

New era, new era

New new new new era

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I hear rumors of Undiscovered Copeland.

P.S. Tekk: BK '18 just did an Egyptian show although Crown '17 marched more like Egyptians imho.  Roman Empire would have to be very different from Star of Indiana. But of course, that is already more than twenty-five years ago.  (My sponsoree who aged out this August made me deal with radical reality; the last time I did full tour was three years before he was born; he's now 22. Yikes!)

We might want to let the design team be hired, announced and then even meet once or twice prior...

i can almost guarantee you zero chance of  Copland in 2019 

highly doubt cadets will be looking backwards anytime soon 

• Like 2