The Cadets 2019

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

When Allentown can’t get them basic rehearsal space their is zero reason to remain there. The organization needs a fresh start and in an area with wealthy corporations with deep pockets and giving campaigns 

I don't necessarily disagree.

48 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

When Allentown can’t get them basic rehearsal space their is zero reason to remain there. The organization needs a fresh start and in an area with wealthy corporations with deep pockets and giving campaigns 

current employees are an important consideration- but also you must consider who hasn’t or wouldn’t come to work for YEA due to the depressed economy of its current location 

There’s two sides to this. The deal with the city called for more participation from the organization which was ignored unless it meant running some type of show at JBC to make money. Sure you had the YEA programs that weren’t the Cadets but you never heard about them. But if any other circuit tried to run JBC he threw fits.

after a while the city was tired of being used and ignored 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Sure you had the YEA programs that weren’t the Cadets but you never heard about them.

Didn't YEA run city band programs out in California a long time ago? I think I remember that. I wondered then why CA and not the North East?

Having been present to the original Larry Ambrosio, George Hopkins, Michael Cesario conversation in the 80's when Cesario and Ambrosio presented to Hopkins the idea of YEA, I wasn't sold on the idea from the start. It seemed to be overreaching when the corps itself didn't have a firm footing on which to stand. It sounded like building a castle in the sky and then trying to put in a foundation.

The move to Pennsylvania to elude creditors in New Jersey (while publicly presented as Allentown's outreach for free office space, J. Birney Crum for corps and DCI, etc. as a positive mega-opportunity) turned me off further. Yes, YEA and band circuit funded Cadets in many ways ($$ and people power) for many years.

Rather than trying to be BDPA of the East (Blue Devils Performing Arts...a conglomerate based on mega bingo funding and strong investments which runs 2 corps and a myriad of SUCCESSFUL programs including the Western Band Association) I am wondering if the current situation of the past few months underscores that the time has come to separate The Cadets and the goal structure of YEA.

I realize the co-dependency financially would mean that new funding sources would need new substitutes. Mr. Dixon's rationale seems to fit that. But what I am really searching is whether the survival and thriving future of the Cadets and the survival of YEA (with USBands and other minor programs) are and need to continue as identical goals. I am not convinced. I would prefer to see like Cavaliers, Crown, Boston and others a strong emphasis on the corps first, not a watered down compromise to be shared with C2, USBands, the hip-hop dancers and the minor league baseball drum line.

I am sure Doug Rutherford and Board are discussing exactly that. I don't have the answers*. But I don't have the confidence that the corps and YEA have to continue as conjoined Siamese twins. I do think it is worth a strong conversation especially as the corps marks 85 years (the only continuous competing drum corps to do so.) What are your thoughts?

[*Lord knows I have enough hassles with my own finances and bills.]

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

There’s two sides to this. The deal with the city called for more participation from the organization which was ignored unless it meant running some type of show at JBC to make money. Sure you had the YEA programs that weren’t the Cadets but you never heard about them. But if any other circuit tried to run JBC he threw fits.

I was Engineer for the City of Hackensasck when the then Garfield Cadets made their pitch to move to Hackensack.

GH made all kinds of promises including clinics,working with the High School Marching Band,providing instruction,you name of it.

Promises made,all promises broken.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I was Engineer for the City of Hackensasck when the then Garfield Cadets made their pitch to move to Hackensack.

GH made all kinds of promises including clinics,working with the High School Marching Band,providing instruction,you name of it.

Promises made,all promises broken.

Right. Basically running for office: say what gets you what you want, then just keep grabbing cash and power

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh I totally believe the situation is mostly poor management of the relationship by GH

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

oh I totally believe the situation is mostly poor management of the relationship by GH

The housing issues in Allentown, not just for East have been building for years. Now YEA isn’t to blame for all of them, but for several well.... non payment doesn’t get you follow up invitations. It’s why Hershey booted them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

The housing issues in Allentown, not just for East have been building for years. Now YEA isn’t to blame for all of them, but for several well.... non payment doesn’t get you follow up invitations. It’s why Hershey booted them 

oh I thought it was Cesario bathing in chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

oh I thought it was Cesario bathing in chocolate.

He did that in Madison 

• Haha 1