Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

24 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I saw this on Reddit but apparently a member of Music City performed a vocal solo at I&E this year.

What was the vocal solo you may ask? George Hopkins' indictment :spitting:

The member was DQ'd for breaking the code of conduct and apparently Dan Acheson is not pleased with the Music City admin for allowing the member to read it out

I wanna give that MC member a medal

There better be a video of this...

• Like 3

If that's even true, it is a very dumb thing to do.  What's the point? Is this just an attempt to be edgy?  Is some sort of statement being made?  This just seems very poorly thought out other than trying to get people like Cappybara to give high-fives.  Nothing is being accomplished here.  

I'm not defending Hopkins. By all accounts he seems like he wasn't a very good person.  I have no sympathy for him.  But why would anyone feel that he is important enough to make part of the I&E event? 

Why is this a good thing?

You have to draw the line somewhere.  Would it be ok if he read something anti-trump?  Anti-obama?  What if he read Bill Cosby's indictment?  You have to draw the line somewhere.  It makes sense just to draw the line at performing competitive solos/ensembles.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CD23 said:

If that's even true, it is a very dumb thing to do.  What's the point? Is this just an attempt to be edgy?  Is some sort of statement being made?  This just seems very poorly thought out other than trying to get people like Cappybara to give high-fives.  Nothing is being accomplished here.  

I'm not defending Hopkins. By all accounts he seems like he wasn't a very good person.  I have no sympathy for him.  But why would anyone feel that he is important enough to make part of the I&E event? 

Why is this a good thing?

You have to draw the line somewhere.  Would it be ok if he read something anti-trump?  Anti-obama?  What if he read Bill Cosby's indictment?  You have to draw the line somewhere.  It makes sense just to draw the line at performing competitive solos/ensembles.  

Read below:

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

To me, it's a clear message that, "In the midst of our self-congratulating celebration of the activity, we must not forget what was done to these women and ensure that it is not currently happening to others and guard against it happening again."  

• Like 3

The closest I saw the official events get to saying anything at all was 1) Cadets DM getting the leadership award (we all knew why, but it wasn't explicitly said) and 2) someone said something about safety of members was said by Dan A. at the Friends of DCI meeting, although that wasn't given much public detail at all.

Considering that, this is a performer with a strong sense of performance art that they would take on the powers that be to make this sort of thing visible at such a time.  I see it less as an "attack on GH" and more a "no, we're not going to pretend this didn't happen.  This is DCI, warts and all."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

KVG/Cappybara,

You are missing my argument.  Where do you draw the line? If you are saying this is ok, then you must then be ok with a wide variety of topics.  Tell me where that line is drawn, and why do you want this sort of thing happening at an I&E event?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CD23 said:

KVG/Cappybara,

You are missing my argument.  Where do you draw the line? If you are saying this is ok, then you must then be ok with a wide variety of topics.  Tell me where that line is drawn, and why do you want this sort of thing happening at an I&E event?  

I'm not about to stifle valid artistic impression because of what "might happen" by someone taking it "too far."  I"m sure the same hand wringing was made when the Garfield Cadets marched a Peace symbol in the "no more war" show.  

• Like 5