The future is here

All I said is that they've done jazz for at least 3 years in a row. I'm not complaining about it, because I like it. But to say that Crown has been the same every year but not the Bluecoats, that is mind boggling.

Crown is KNOWN for doing something completely different.

And then the OP says "well I was talking about arrangements".

Okay. So complain that the arrangers aren't good enough. 

It comes down to the OP being upset because Crown always does triple tonguing. Wah wah wah. Yeah that is something to complain about.

For crying out loud this is the stupidest thread I've seen on here in some time. 

7 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Interesting that you are broad brushing "jazz" on the Bluecoats description but you are willing to dissect "classical" into diverse segments for Crown.

For example, I'd like to hear about all of the "jazz" selections in Jagged Line.

The irony being, of course, that "jazz" is far more diverse than "classical" is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I'm with you there on Crown. I've found their shows usually have the general thread of: happy/neutral opener, some sort of adversity in the next movement, a love story or something sad in the ballad, and then an overcoming of the adversity with a happy ending and a Bb chord. 

That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's their identity. But it does play into your point

I do think Bloo got into a bit of a rut in 2017 but they came out with something very fresh this year 

I don’t think Jagged Line was a rut, I think it proved to be too limiting of a staging design to plop a massive, immovable stage that split the field in half. It was one of my all time favorite shows, but there wasn’t a lot you could to drill wise when you had to literally work over, around and through the big stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Boston has Keith Potter, Leon May and Michael Townsend from Crown's 2008-2009ish to 2016 seasons. Those three guys know how to design fan-friendly shows so it's no surprise Boston is doing what they are doing. I personally love the risks Subel and company are taking with Crown the last two years and want them to keep doing that each year. It's just a matter of time before everything clicks.

Yes exactly.  

37 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I think you are all opening up a huge can of worms when you talk about what other corps are capable or not capable of playing the top shows.

I do think it's cool to picture a top group playing a lower scoring show. I would love to see crown do ...that one second or the Cavaliers do MCDC from this year.

I would kind of say Blue Devils did do the MCDC show a little while back.

To be clear, what I am not saying is that Crown couldn’t perform Nighthawks. What I am saying is that Klesch couldn’t design the arrangements for that show without making it sound like Crown. Which might not be bad, might actually be amazing.

From a technical, talent and athletic standpoint, let’s be totally honest here and admit that most of the World Class corps could not perform the top three shows. Not musically, not from a drill standpoint. They are beyond the ability of the vast majority of musicians. Even many professional musicians. 

My kids’ high school, Page, tried to put their version of Tilt on the field a few years ago. Did not go well.

20 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

All I said is that they've done jazz for at least 3 years in a row. I'm not complaining about it, because I like it. But to say that Crown has been the same every year but not the Bluecoats, that is mind boggling.

Crown is KNOWN for doing something completely different.

And then the OP says "well I was talking about arrangements".

Okay. So complain that the arrangers aren't good enough. 

It comes down to the OP being upset because Crown always does triple tonguing. Wah wah wah. Yeah that is something to complain about.

For crying out loud this is the stupidest thread I've seen on here in some time. 

Explain to me how Crown is “known for doing something completely different.” Show of hands from those here who agree with this. Yeah, I see no other hands.

What I am saying is, build around truth, not around execution ideas. When every single solitary Crown show has almost identical brass arrangement concepts, that’s all fine we’ll and good, NO ONE is better at those things than Crown and Klesch, NO ONE. Last year, when the tour came to Nashville, I could have taken my kids to watch any of the TOC heavyweights, but I chose to take them to watch Crown warm up.

But why not start with the idea and then arrange and build from the idea? Why does every single show have to have obligatory CC brass segments?

If you think Jagged Line is the exact same show as Down Side Up, then we really have nothing to talk about from here. And you need to brush up on your jazz knowledge.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

This thread is classic!

Bloo honk:  Crown shows are all the same 

BD honk: Bloo is ok but Crown is awful

Crown honk:  BD and Bloo shows are all the same

Cappy: I hate triple tonguing

Boston honk:  We’re freaking coming for you all

SCV honk: whatever we won 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

why can't people just start threads about their favorite corps without talking sh** about other corps?

it's funniest when they think they're being subtle.  

all of the performers in the corps mentioned in this thread looked like they were having the time of their lives, and they were giving it their all. enjoy it!

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I would kind of say Blue Devils did do the MCDC show a little while back.

Summer Train Blues Mix. Not my thing.