Carolina Crown 2019

It seems to me that Crown is what Klesch is and is known for. No one, except for perhaps Blue Devils, has created a brass sound as successfully and consistently as Klesch has.

To try to do shows that aren’t true to his concepts is a path to frustration and failure. Inferno was very creative and very entertaining, imho should have won the gold medal. But it was right down the middle of the Klesch sound. It purposefully designed itself around the one big brass choral sound that he is known for, and its what fills the stands with band kids.

Telling Frank Lloyd Wright to do a post modern house is absurd. 

• Like 7

I honestly believe they need to start designing the shows around Klesch's arrangements instead of what seems the other way around. Music is what drives this corps. It's not about their story telling abilities, or the big props, or the theatricality of the shows. It's the music. That brass wall of sound, and now add the percussion to that. They are what is keeping this corps in the top 6. Write to the music. That, and I feel like they should head in a different direction in drill design. Nothing against Sacktig, as he's written some outstanding shows, but his style is a bit dated and doesn't suit Crown in the slightest. 

Also, can we go back to Puck One, fun, campy, weird Crown please? 

• Like 9

I think Beast was an attempt to do what you are saying, it just wasn’t a very compelling concept. Seeing Crown running around a growling at the camera is silly. Props were at best a distraction.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Crown always is within a breath of a medal - their shows are intensely creative and the music is always phenomenal. Execution is always excellent and the staff can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 

Remember last years bronze show? Remember Inferno? Crown is always innovative!

By comparison, BDs shows are looking stale - same evening gown style arm covers, recycled pink dresses, same rhythm to the show, same dance moves...enough already! 

Edited by Corps_Efan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

For the sake of conversation, let’s say ‘12, ‘13, ‘15, & ‘16–just the first few to come to mind; I’m sure they’re others—were high water marks.

What are the lessons/commonalities that can be drawn from those programs?

Also, are we witnessing a sea change/paradigm shift in “winning” designs?

Maybe Bloo ‘16 and SCV ‘18 are where we’re heading...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I think Beast was an attempt to do what you are saying, it just wasn’t a very compelling concept. Seeing Crown running around a growling at the camera is silly. Props were at best a distraction.

Are you saying Beast was an attempt to be "fun, weird, and campy"? Because it was anything but...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Are you saying Beast was an attempt to be "fun, weird, and campy"? Because it was anything but...

No it was an attempt to get back to the basic style of Crown. 

Just now, MikeRapp said:

No it was an attempt to get back to the basic style of Crown. 

I didn't get that at all. I felt like they were trying to revive 2015...