Pioneer What Next?

On 8/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, grenadasmoothie said:

Except, if their member care is as poor as you outline above, they lag behind most DCA corps in this area, also! Not saying that DCA corps have medical staff on hand, or that they feed the MMs four times a day, but the ones I've been around the last, say, decade or so, do provide quite a bit in this respect.

I don’t know this first hand, my knowledge of DCA is that of an occasional fan who attends shows if they are in my area, but what you say sounds plausible. Usually as DCA finals come closer, you see pictures posted with two or three generations marching in the same corps at the same time. I also recall a DCA show in Lynn about five years back where some teenaged marchers complained about not being allowed to “do anything” without checking with an adult. They were about 15.  My guess is that there are probably marching members in some all aged corps  the same age of the parents as some of the younger marching members. If you have a few people on a staff or in a the case of a DCA corps marching members who think like parents, they may not see it as their role to baby sit, but they would be attentive to the needs of younger members such as medical attention, meals, and the like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"For we cannot tarry here, 

We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger,

We, the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend,  Pioneers! O pioneers!"

Ahhhhh...Uncle Walt! I needed that after wading through some of these threads. 

Well the one comment answers why people post on Reddit instead of DCP. (Someone asked that earlier somewhere). Also shows how little trust some have in powers that be doing this right. With what some have allegedly seen can't blame them. Talk and paperwork aint going to do it, action needs to be seen.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Fold the d**n corps. Just stop prolonging the inevitable and put this organization out of its misery. It's obviously too far gone for open class, DCA, and even an alumni parade corps. The members and staff can do better than what Pioneer has to offer. It's not a matter of if Pioneer folds; I hope Pioneer folds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Fold the d**n corps. Just stop prolonging the inevitable and put this organization out of its misery. It's obviously too far gone for open class, DCA, and even an alumni parade corps. The members and staff can do better than what Pioneer has to offer. It's not a matter of if Pioneer folds; I hope Pioneer folds.

Whether these problems are being exaggerated or real, hoping for a corps to fold is pretty weak. 

• Thanks 1

After reading the comments I can see that trust in DCI will NOT be regained by sitting in a room and writing a new policy that says talk to the corps or an outside agency. Trust will only be regained by DCI actually doing something. Since the mess about Pioneer came out did DCI actually do anything differently like have someone physically go to the corps and talk to the members and staff? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KeithHall said:

My time in DCA saw our corps (Rochester Crusaders) feeding our corps VERY well. There may or not had a nurse present but illnesses were taken seriously. Now if I go back to my marching days in the 1970's...we visited fast food daily. I do remember that the corps did start to feed us in 1975 and 1976 so that we weren't eating fast food all the time.

18 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep we did fast food on show days but only way to get us fed in an hour or less. Our 78 trip to AL nationals we were bused to a hotel for buffet meals. And anyone not feeling good was told to sit or make sure to get it checked. Offhand medical I saw was migraine, bad sunburn, busted lip and swollen arm (last two from sports).

remember that DCA may be a little different, especially back in 'our day' - you had many marching members who probably had medical credentials from their full time jobs:  EMS, RN, trainers, even a physician or two...we took care of ourselves, reasonably well, I believe.