Pioneer What Next?

36 minutes ago, OldDCGuy said:

As mentioned, Open Class provides a wonderful arena to provide musical and visual educational opportunities.  But, allowing corps that repeatedly place well below the majority of the Open Class corps at prelims to continue as WC, forces show promoters to pay WC pay scale to a lower-end OC corps.  Kind of like paying for the Boston Symphony when you get the Goochland String Choir.

World class isn’t about score. And at some point soon there will be more than 25 world class corps

• Like 4

It's the 21st Century! They got a participation certificate and it doesn't matter that they beat 5 corps in all of DCI. They get an experience. It's okay people it's not about the competition. Competition is BAD!!!! Well, until the real world kicks in and you have to compete for a job!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldDCGuy said:

As mentioned, Open Class provides a wonderful arena to provide musical and visual educational opportunities.  But, allowing corps that repeatedly place well below the majority of the Open Class corps at prelims to continue as WC, forces show promoters to pay WC pay scale to a lower-end OC corps.  Kind of like paying for the Boston Symphony when you get the Goochland String Choir.

Don't h8 on Goochland. They play that sweet sweet polka I can't live without.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, OldDCGuy said:

DCI needs a rule passed that World Class membership must be earned/retained by a top 25 finish at least every three years or so.  Something to drive them to keep the quality up.

Let the market do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldDCGuy said:

Better be careful.  Taken to its logical conclusion, this is G7-talk.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, KeithHall said:

It's the 21st Century! They got a participation certificate and it doesn't matter that they beat 5 corps in all of DCI. They get an experience. It's okay people it's not about the competition. Competition is BAD!!!! Well, until the real world kicks in and you have to compete for a job!

I'm not sure which edge of the sword your comments were meant to fall on.

Pio is about allowing kids to compete on the WC stage, not about "winning" it.  If the org can do the tour, has the structure, has a BoD that's making sound financial decisions, and P&P that assure kids are fed and safe, competitive placement is not a requisite. 

At least not yet.  But let's no forget there are new sheriffs in town making decisions for the activity.  Things change.

Edited by garfield

I think it really comes down to financials. I don't think the size of the corps or quality of show is the issue.  They are who they are competitively. We don't know where they start from and the kind of talent they get, so none of that matters to me. Of course, I always want to enjoy Pioneer...and have on MANY occasions. 

Staying world class has more to do with the financials I think? Yes. I'm sure someone has better info than I.  If they are having financial trouble, and if that caused issues on tour, then it certainly is something they need to address; and Roman must certainly take responsibility. Here's to hoping things work out. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Unrelated:  I've been a part of many non-profit and quasi-governmental boards.  I have NEVER heard of the director being on the board! 

The director runs the organization according to the board's direction.  To have the director as a board member is a clear conflict of interest, and he should resign one position or the other.

Non-voting member of the board isn’t unusual. No exec should also be a voting member. 

15 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Really simple without any leading statements.

With the reported problems with Pioneer what should the corps or DCI do next? And would this hit recruitment?

Several of us on this thread have indicated we are not aware of the problems to which you refer. Can you please add some details or a link to a news article?  Thx!

• Thanks 1