Let's celebrate 2018!

Finals ended less than 24 hours ago.

Let's discuss what we loved about 2018

Your favorite shows?

Uniforms?

Ballad? 

Percussion feature?

Whatever you like!

My 2018 "all the feels" award goes to Gabe Gallegos of the Troopers for his emotional departure from the podium for the last time.  i just wish I had caught that on recording to make a gif like I did of those 7R kids last year.

Open Class (I know, wrong forum...don't care) If you're overlooking the opportunity to see these shows, you're missing out on some great stuff.  Lots of creativity and quality going on.  

Lower half of Semifinals!  See the line above this one.

So many good ballads this year.  True Colors, Saro, and My Body is a Cage stand out tonight in my head from the finalists. 

Crossmen and Troopers had fantastic opening moments.  

7R's flag silk design choices rival those of BK and Cavies this year for how they worked with the show. 

• Like 5

SCV

then, not in order: Crossmen   Cadets   Crown    Troopers    Cavaliers    Crusaders    Scouts   Phantom

Open class overall was just wonderful, so many shows in open class are awesome, the music is less harsh, the shows are fun, very inspirational.

This year every show really seemed to have a special dazzle, it was a true honor and pleasure to be able to enjoy the experience.

Edited by Sasha1
  • Like 3

Love watching Samuel on the podium. 

Highlight of the summer...getting to spend a day with BD at rehearsal a week later do it again with Bloo

Musically There were so many moments to love this year but I cannot get Blow It Up, Start Again out of my head!

Natural Woman, Saro...those were perfect, and good lord, that Vanguard baritone duet.

Cadets!  You made a statement this summer.  Have to admit I wrote you off in April...silly me!  Got all giddy when I saw the maroon and gold Friday night. 

Top to bottom the fans were the real winners this year. The only top 12 show I never really got into was BK. I tried, but just never really clicked. 

Music City!!  Welcome to the big leagues!  That opener was fun and you nailed Hallelujah (in a fresh way even). 

Thoroughly enjoyed sitting next to a Cavies trumpet family at LR and listening to them tell about his summer.

Blessed to hang out with my son and enjoy drum corps “too many” nights this summer  

But I have to say my favorite corps moment of the whole summer and yes I am an old fart (translated...pre electronics, pre concert horns, pre vocals, pre staged productions, pre costumes, pre two semi truck sized props) was being at Bentonville the first night Phantom did the leg kick!  I about came out of the stands. 

Thank you all for a very, very enjoyable and memorable summer. 

Heres to hoping for more of the same next year. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Finals ended less than 24 hours ago.

Let's discuss what we loved about 2018

Your favorite shows?

Uniforms?

Ballad? 

Percussion feature?

Whatever you like!

Favorite shows: a lot of them. It'd be easier to name the shows I didn't find memorable, but that goes against the spirit of this topic. I guess some real standouts for me are SCV, Cadets, Troopers, Music City, and Southwind.

Uniforms: I still love the traditional uniform. Colts, Troopers and Cavies before the changes, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest, and all those in the open class make me happy. Bloo looked pretty darn snazzy for nontraditional uniforms.

Ballad: Ára bátur. Hands down. I've known this song for a long time, and it's one of the most gorgeous songs I've ever heard. The tenor soloist did a great job of emulating Jónsi's voice. The steady buildup to the full-ensemble chorus is amazing, but then they went one step further and let all emotions pour out. The whole piece left no doubts in anyone's mind. The Cadets will stand united.

Percussion feature: Aside from a tasty Cadets bass split that I always liked, the Konnakal tenor feature and the snare feature with the trumpet solo afterward was one of the highlights of the Blue Devils show for me.

Whatever I like: There's so much to love outside the top 12, including open class.

I still love the Madison Scouts and Phantom Regiment. Madison didn't blow me away this year, but I want to see them come back and blow the house down again. Like it or not, Phantom had one of my favorite musical programs of the summer.

FREE Players are incredible. Big love to everyone involved with that organization, especially the Mandarins who volunteered their evening to help them set up and be their cheer section.

Speaking of Mandarins, welcome to the top 12!! My earliest recollection of you folks was as a small div 2 corps back in 2002. Seeing what this program has become leaves me in awe. I hope to see you continue to grow.

Having lived in "the South" for all my life, it's really cool to see all these active groups down here now.

That's about it. This has been one of my favorite seasons to spectate since I started following the activity. Last year, I wasn't sure I could stomach all the changes, but now I embrace them. Lots of cool stuff happening on the field these days. See you all again next June!

Edited by quijeros
Fixed some formatting
  • Like 3

Going to try to take the time to do this post now. May add more later.

Favorite shows: Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, SOA, MCDC, OC, SCV, Boston HMs for Mandarins, PC, Genesis

Went to Semis with Mom her favorites: SCV, Boston, Troopers, BDB

Went to Massillon with hubby his favorites: Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Mandarins

Best Entrance: MCDC, Troopers, Cadets

Best Opener: Crossmen, SCV, SOA, Carolina Crown

Best Ballad: Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, SCV

Closer: Bluecoats

Ending: Boston

Uniforms: Troopers, Colts, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Academy

Color Guard: Boston Crusaders, Mandarins

Front Ensemble: SCV

Drumline: Crown, BD, Boston, SCV

Percussion Feature: SCV

Use of trumpets: Bluecoats

Use of Mellos: Crown, Boston, SCV, BK

Use of Baritones: SCV

Use of Tubas: Phantom, SCV, Bluecoats

Standstill whole notes: BD

Moment in Massillon: Bluecoats Closer when they brought the house down. HM for US Marine Corps show

Moment in Semis: The silence in LOS during the musical pauses in Saro. HM for MCDCs train entrance out of the tunnel.

Overall visual: Boston

Overall music: Crown

Whole package show and experience: SCV

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Going to try to take the time to do this post now. May add more later.

Favorite shows: Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, SOA, MCDC, OC, SCV, Boston HMs for Mandarins, PC, Genesis

Went to Semis with Mom her favorites: SCV, Boston, Troopers, BDB

Went to Massillon with hubby his favorites: Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, Mandarins

Best Entrance: MCDC, Troopers, Cadets

Best Opener: Crossmen, SCV, SOA, Carolina Crown

Best Ballad: Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, SCV

Closer: Bluecoats

Ending: Boston

Uniforms: Troopers, Colts, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Academy

Color Guard: Boston Crusaders, Mandarins

Front Ensemble: SCV

Drumline: Crown, BD, Boston, SCV

Percussion Feature: SCV

Use of trumpets: Bluecoats

Use of Mellos: Crown, Boston, SCV, BK

Use of Baritones: SCV

Use of Tubas: Phantom, SCV, Bluecoats

Standstill whole notes: BD

Moment in Massillon: Bluecoats Closer when they brought the house down. HM for US Marine Corps show

Moment in Semis: The silence in LOS during the musical pauses in Saro. HM for MCDCs train entrance out of the tunnel.

Overall visual: Boston

Overall music: Crown

Whole package show and experience: SCV

Great analasyse !!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

7R's flag silk design choices rival those of BK and Cavies this year for how they worked with the show. 

I'm sure 7R's director  (Cavalier alumnus) thanks you for THAT compliment.  His wife also happens to be the color guard caption head (PR alumnus).