What rule would you propose for the 2019 DCI tour?

21 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Are there any ensembles competing in both?  No?  Well, then, it is separate.  (Very closely interrelated, but separate.)

Separate yet the same. Drum Corps people ( myself included BITD) looked at the band programs as some geeky subpar activity to what we also did. We are so interconnected to all aspects of the activity now. We are a very inbred activity in so many aspects. To think one does not affect the other would not be true. I guess that's another topic though.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MikeD said:

Drum corps is part of marching/music. It is just not separate and distinct. It never really has been; IMO it is all part of the same large activity. 

I do agree in part.  As a brass musician my personal draw to drum corps was because it was EXCLUSIVE avenue and unique experience that was different from that of marching band, symphonic band, wind ensemble, jazz band, orchestra and others that I belonged.  I was attracted to the fact that the "brass" elements created a different texture and timbre then that of other groups. If woodwinds or saxophones were included that basic attraction would have been lost.  A summer job would have been more attractive. My red line has always been the inclusion of woodwinds (on a large scale) in this activity.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Now you are confusing me.  If drum corps and marching band are all the same activity, then woodwinds are not being excluded from it.  So what are you complaining about?

Because WW are excluded from DCI, which IMO should be changed. 

6 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

eh. Marching full woodwind sections never made sense. You only see it in high school bands because the instruments are needed for concert band. For an activity designed for the football field, woodwind sections make no sense.

This isn't exclusive to drum corps. Most professional orchestras don't have a dedicated euphonium section, because most symphonies don't have euphonium parts. It is what it is.

Marching WW makes total sense. They are present in scholastic bands because they make sense to be there. Since the music is arranged specifically for field use, it can just as easily include WW parts, as it does for 99.999% or the marching band activity. Only the DCI and DCA segments don't permit it, which IMO should be changed.

44 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Marching WW makes total sense. They are present in scholastic bands because they make sense to be there. Since the music is arranged specifically for field use, it can just as easily include WW parts, as it does for 99.999% or the marching band activity. Only the DCI and DCA segments don't permit it, which IMO should be changed.

actually the directors dont want it. the cost of maintenance alone discourages them. imagine that...when it comes to woodwinds, they advocate financial austerity

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

If a corps chose to not include woodwinds, would you penalize them?

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If a corps chose to not include woodwinds, would you penalize them?

No...and as I said, I prefer a new division for any instruments and any size...if no corps wants to participate there, fine. If all do, fine....if some do, also fine. That is my answer to the OP's original request. It is MY rule change if I were able to make one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handling of Props in the heat. Limiting the size and weight before someone gets hurts. What help do no uniforms in the heat make w/o also eliminating prop handling, how long do they really stay in uniform for 40 minutes or so? Delaying the show an hour and no uniforms is a feel-good PR move unless your an MM then it does nothing at all.

Corps pull in 2 hours before the show or more park trucks in the sun MMs unload put together the props in the hottest part of the day. Then drag them long distances to the and from the field in the heat, the delay does nothing.

These do not need to be a seat of the paints decisions that day, oh what are we to do? It gets hot in the summer, at certain temp & humanity readings rules kick in. Show tickets have a disclaimer in the small print.

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1