Post Tour Laundry Day

I never marched,so I have a couple of questions:

1.Who is responsible  for cleaning a corp's uniforms and

how often during the season is it done?

2.Looking at "The Day" white boards,it looks like corps travel to housing 

sites,after a show,without showering.

Is that correct ?

3.Reading about the 'stench" from clothes,how "ripe" do the buses get ? 

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I never marched,so I have a couple of questions:

1.Who is responsible  for cleaning a corp's uniforms and

how often during the season is it done?

2.Looking at "The Day" white boards,it looks like corps travel to housing 

sites,after a show,without showering.

Is that correct ?

3.Reading about the 'stench" from clothes,how "ripe" do the buses get ? 

Volunteers do the Corps uniforms -- I've done it number of times during Crown's cream uniform period. We generally "take over" a laundromat with a huge bag of quarters. The lady in charge had her special formula to get out the grass/mud stains on the knees and posteriors of those cream pants.

The Wife says yes -- the Corps travel from the show to the next housing site usually without showering. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Volunteers do the Corps uniforms -- I've done it number of times during Crown's cream uniform period. We generally "take over" a laundromat with a huge bag of quarters. The lady in charge had her special formula to get out the grass/mud stains on the knees and posteriors of those cream pants.

The Wife says yes -- the Corps travel from the show to the next housing site usually without showering. 

Thanks.

Do you know how often the clean the uniforms ?

1 minute ago, rpbobcat said:

Thanks.

Do you know how often the clean the uniforms ?

The Wife says it varies -- no set schedule. Usually before a big show -- regionals, DATR, etc. I would guess whenever muddy fields left their mark. 

6 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

The Wife says it varies -- no set schedule. Usually before a big show -- regionals, DATR, etc. I would guess whenever muddy fields left their mark. 

Thanks Again.

I guess the uniforms could get kind of "ripe" too.

Corps may need to stock up on Febreze .

• Like 1

Soaking clothes in Coke or Pepsi or other similar cola for a bit and doing just a wash cycle without detergent and then a regular cycle with detergent should get the smell out.  I did that when I marched and when I was in the military we used to do that to get the smell of jet fuel out of our uniforms.  Today I do that to get that musty smell out of the load of laundry I forgot was in the washer and sat there for a day.  

Edit: To clarify, I let the washer fill up with water and then add either half a 2-liter of soda or the whole thing depending on how bad the smell is and let that soak for 5-10 minutes and then let that wash cycle finish up as normal without detergent and then just wash it again as normal with detergent.

Edited by Cathie Wiener

3 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Thanks Again.

I guess the uniforms could get kind of "ripe" too.

Corps may need to stock up on Febreze .

The one constant in drum corps, that can never be changed by electronics, singing, or different instruments, is the “ripe.” Always has been and forever shall be.

I think the modern, breathable fabrics have helped some, but there is only so much you can do with the heat and athleticism.

It was even worse in the days of wool uniforms. You really didn’t want to be downwind of the Garfield Cadets...:w00t:

The good news is...you stink too, so you get pretty immune to it! 

• Haha 2

When the kids came home after Finals, we threw away EVERYTHING not a keepsake. 

• Haha 1