St. Rose Scarlet Lancers

Can anyone provide some history on St. Rose? It seems that they were only around for a couple of years.

I remember standing on the starting line watching them at Detroit VFW Nationals in 1960. We (Vanguards) were impressed.

They had that great Al Saia sound and a very open style drill. We particularly liked their arrangement of "Song of India."

I may be wrong on this, but I think that Jerry Shelmer was their drum instructor.

Anyhow, where did they come from? Why did they break up? Where did their membership go?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, old vanguard said:

Can anyone provide some history on St. Rose? It seems that they were only around for a couple of years.

I remember standing on the starting line watching them at Detroit VFW Nationals in 1960. We (Vanguards) were impressed.

They had that great Al Saia sound and a very open style drill. We particularly liked their arrangement of "Song of India."

I may be wrong on this, but I think that Jerry Shelmer was their drum instructor.

Anyhow, where did they come from? Why did they break up? Where did their membership go?

"St Rose Scarlet Lancers":

Hailed from a suburb of Boston called Chelsa.  Chick Corea marched with them.  Bob Gaff of Yankee Rebels solo fame and BHOF charter member did also.  There is a posting of a 1960's recoring of them on YouTube, and a small synopsis of their history.

There is a Facebook site called "New Englend Drum Corps" which may have some information also.

Andy Lisko can probably give a much more detailed report on them

Elphaba     :flower:

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, Northern Thunder said:

And we can't forget that Jim Wedge got his start as a member of their hornline.

since 27th Lancers are probably fodder for "historical drum corps" for the current young un's, good to note Jim Wedge was the Lancers' horn arranger and instructor giving us that famous arrangement of Danny Boy still played in parades by hundreds of high school bands and others.

My last full summer of touring with Cadets was 1993. My sponsoree there this year aged out this summer and told me he was born in 1996. Ouch!