Crowd Love at Finals

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I think you overestimate here. 1st drum corps people can be the best and support just because BUT they can have no mercy. Just look at some posts that claim " Oh we aren't talking about the kids" I call that BS. it's an excuse for bad behavior most of the time. With that said Cadets earned every bit of the reception.

In my observation it’s rarely about the kids. The designers and staff are responsible for show designs, and they are almost always adults.  

This is a subjective activity, we all have opinions about things, and this is an appropriate place to voice them. I wouldn’t say people need a thick skin, merely average skin.  Some people are unnecessarily unkind. Agreed. That said, a performer (of any kind) who can’t handle the opinions of the masses is a performer without a career.  

There are plenty of people I disagree with. It doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the point of view.  Most of us LOVE this activity, and this is where we can converse about it 24/7. It’s only words.  Sticks and stones...

Fairly consistent assessment here. Lors of real applause and standing O's in the top 6. Except BD. For some reason, cursory applause and standing O at the end that pretty much everyone gets. It was a good show, so I don't know why. But the crowd was hesitant to go all out for it.

My two highlight crowd moments:

The SCV encore was extreme bliss.  The crowd that remained were all who were completely smitten with the show and we were banded together in nirvana.    That moment was truly a highlight of my life.    Crazy magical when they performed send in the clowns afterwards...

The other awesome moment was Thursday night Cadets; the crowd leapt to their feet during the zipper at the end in pure happiness.

My personal thrills were the color guard performance of Boston Crusaders and the leg gal of Phantom Regiment.

Have I mentioned yet just how GREAT great great this year was?  Every corps was just awesome....I am still high from three days of awesomeness.

Edited by Sasha1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

In my observation it’s rarely about the kids. The designers and staff are responsible for show designs, and they are almost always adults.  

This is a subjective activity, we all have opinions about things, and this is an appropriate place to voice them. I wouldn’t say people need a thick skin, merely average skin.  Some people are unnecessarily unkind. Agreed. That said, a performer (of any kind) who can’t handle the opinions of the masses is a performer without a career.  

There are plenty of people I disagree with. It doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the point of view.  Most of us LOVE this activity, and this is where we can converse about it 24/7. It’s only words.  Sticks and stones...

I agree with most of what you say except for the names will never hurt since you are referencing sticks and stones...they do hurt in an EVEN greater capacity than a broken bone ever would...just wanted to say my peace on that...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mingusmonk said:

Fairly consistent assessment here. Lors of real applause and standing O's in the top 6. Except BD. For some reason, cursory applause and standing O at the end that pretty much everyone gets. It was a good show, so I don't know why. But the crowd was hesitant to go all out for it.

I think you know why

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ediker said:

It's not about a thick skin for the kids MOST just laugh it all  ( even a DCP night on buses a few years ago. WOrds do mean something. I know that is a strange concept nowadays in the highest places in our country BUT they do.

You took one line of a much longer post. Often the one line people choose to respond to is merely a statement in relation to the subject of the entire post. Taking the line on it's own deflects from a much bigger picture imo

I do agree with parts of what you say though

Edited by GUARDLING

19 minutes ago, Sasha1 said:

I am still high from three days of awesomeness

Well put, I was so excited I lost my stash in LOS and am still high as well. Didn't listen to music all the way home (9hours) still haven't or watched TV. What other event even comes close to that, none.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Boston was the darling dropping to almost not making finals, they get a new staff and tons of critics, Again a darling last year for sure and many loved them this year, watch what happens as they get closer to a top spot.

Absolutely.  As Boston gets " closer to the top spot" it'll be enjoyable for many, if not most to watch unfold.. Most non aligned fans enjoy seeing a " new kid on the block " fight its way to the top for the 1st time. It happened with Phantom Regiment in 2008. it happened with Carolina Crown in 2013. It happened with the Bluecoats in 2016. Boston has been at it longer than most too. So, yes, watch what happens with the Drum Corps fans that are not aligned as alums/ fans of the others. Look how most fans respond to Corps when they make Finals for the 1st time. Mandarins this season, for example. People LOVE to see new Corps emerge and challenge at the top, and for new Corps to emerge and make TOP 12. Its so rare, that most fans are highly supportive and look forward to such new emergence. So yes, watch what happens. I agree with you on this. It'll be fabulous for many Drum Corps, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

People, not all, but many, will enjoy it, when Boston gets " closer to the top spot".  I agree. Watch what will happpen. Most non aligned fans enjoy seeing a " new kid on the block " fight its way to the top for the 1st time. It happened with Phantom Regiment in 2008. it happened with Carolina Crown. It happened with the Bluecoats. Boston has been around longer than most too. So, yes, watch what happens with the Drum Corps fans that are not aligned as alums/ fans of the others. Look how most fans respond to Corps when they make Finals for the 1st time. Mandarins this season, for example. People LOVE to see new Corps emerge and challenge at the top, and for new Corps to emerge and make TOP 12. Its so rare, that most fans are highly supportive and look forward to such new emergence.

NM:biggrin:

Edited by GUARDLING

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

As Boston gets " closer to the top spot" it'll be enjoyable for many,

As a kid watching Boston place second in Fenway Park in 1965. I had tears in my eyes for them. It will be very special for Boston to take the crown in the years to come. To the best of my recollection a New England Corps has never won a National title. 1994 our son was in Boston in The old Gillette Stadium (over 30k in attendance) they came in 13th thought here we go again. Now Boston is OK no finals anywhere near Boston in the foreseeable future. GO BAC