Crowd Love at Finals

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Well I guess Cadets shouldn’t have bothered rehearsing since their applause was due to “we are all in this together” sympathy. 

George, I think you know that is not what I'm saying, and when you think of the theme of the show, "The Unity Project," saying "We're all in this together" is a way of saying the show succeeded. With all that took place this past Spring, people not only responded to the show but also had admiration for the corps, and perhaps empathy, but certainly not sympathy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

George, I think you know that is not what I'm saying, and when you think of the theme of the show, "The Unity Project," saying "We're all in this together" is a way of saying the show succeeded. With all that took place this past Spring, people not only responded to the show but also had admiration for the corps, and perhaps empathy, but certainly not sympathy. 

I think you overestimate here. 1st drum corps people can be the best and support just because BUT they can have no mercy. Just look at some posts that claim " Oh we aren't talking about the kids" I call that BS. it's an excuse for bad behavior most of the time. With that said Cadets earned every bit of the reception.

I have always said a thick skin is needed. Look at the thread with some tearing apart SCV. Man their Gold medal isn't even cold yet. Liahona pointed out with BAC that their guard win was still in its 1st moments and there were those who plainly said they actually didn't win guard the night of finals and even pointed out the weird averages. I've have been involved a very long time and if the crowd didn't think Cadets deserved the overwhelming support for their show it wouldn't have lasted even a quarter of the season. Maybe at 1st it would have but people have very short memories. 

When Cavies dropped a bit there were all the armchair designers BUT as they start to climb and support comes back. Boston was the darling dropping to almost not making finals, they get a new staff and tons of critics, Again a darling last year for sure and many loved them this year, watch what happens as they get closer to a top spot.

I do get what you are saying BUT it can be asked then

in 2008 was PR great enough to win with their show OR was it anyone but BD ( which some said )

Blue C. same can be said

Did people really love BAC in 2017 or was it that people love an underdog making a jump that most never do

Cadets 2011 was it the show or BD losing ( that can be said any year I guess)

This year.  SCV all the same questions could be asked

I say corps earned their spots...JMO

( no need to nitpick any of these examples, it's not about the corps used ,just example of a point)

There are many examples of this so was it these things? or emotion. Could be a little of both BUT I can say Drum Corps fans can also be brutally honest sometimes so if it were just emotion I think that would have faded very fast.

Championships are over and I also find it interesting the renewed and outrage on certain issues which literally went quiet as soon as the season started. Oh well, human nature I suppose.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, xandandl said:

My perspective is from being present at LOS for all 3 performances and being seated higher up (prelims 436, semis 640 at the 50, finals 640 at the 50.)

Cadets ovations were stronger in the more adult populated areas than in the group sales teenage areas. Kids didn't have the same sentimental reaction to Z-pull or Rocky Point insert or the traditional uniform. Adults had a greater sense of the repercussions of what the corps went through this season where kids tend to deal more in the present moment. (Not condescending comment by motive, just an observation as an experienced high school teacher and college lecturer.)  Many off the thirty-five yard line seating could not see the person wearing the traditional uniform.

Allentown ovation had greater emotional impact due to being closer to the audience than in the LOS canyon. There also may have been more alumni present in person. It also was the first time for the three changes; Claire as DM on the podium wore the traditional uniform...it was her birthday and the staff fulfilled her birthday wish. Many of LOS crowd knew the "surprises" were coming as they had been marched for a week already. 

this  highlighted area makes perfect sense, although at least for me was a great moment

Edited by GUARDLING

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I think you overestimate here. 1st drum corps people can be the best and support just because BUT they can have no mercy. Just look at some posts that claim " Oh we aren't talking about the kids" I call that BS. it's an excuse for bad behavior most of the time. With that said Cadets earned every bit of the reception.

I have always said a thick skin is needed. Look at the thread with some tearing apart SCV. Man their Gold medal isn't even cold yet. Liahona pointed out with BAC that their guard win was still in its 1st moments and there were those who plainly said they actually didn't win guard the night of finals and even pointed out the weird averages. I've have been involved a very long time and if the crowd didn't think Cadets deserved the overwhelming support for their show it wouldn't have lasted even a quarter of the season. Maybe at 1st it would have but people have very short memories. 

When Cavies dropped a bit there were all the armchair designers BUT as they start to climb and support comes back. Boston was the darling dropping to almost not making finals, they get a new staff and tons of critics, Again a darling last year for sure and many loved them this year, watch what happens as they get closer to a top spot.

I do get what you are saying BUT it can be asked then

in 2008 was PR great enough to win with their show OR was it anyone but BD ( which some said )

Blue C. same can be said

Did people really love BAC in 2017 or was it that people love an underdog making a jump that most never do

Cadets 2011 was it the show or BD losing ( that can be said any year I guess)

This year.  SCV all the same questions could be asked

I say corps earned their spots...JMO

( no need to nitpick any of these examples, it's not about the corps used ,just example of a point)

There are many examples of this so was it these things? or emotion. Could be a little of both BUT I can say Drum Corps fans can also be brutally honest sometimes so if it were just emotion I think that would have faded very fast.

Championships are over and I also find it interesting the renewed and outrage on certain issues which literally went quiet as soon as the season started. Oh well, human nature I suppose.

Earned...bought...but that's a different topic. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Well I guess Cadets shouldn’t have bothered rehearsing since their applause was due to “we are all in this together” sympathy. 

I get what your getting at and I know you agree they did a fair share of rehearsing. Sympathy did play a small role since w/o thinking that would mean fans don't have a heart, they have the biggest hearts of any activity. The sympathy was there I felt more happy for them this year but all that was done with class. I was there in 140 as well and felt it myself but knew the applause was for a job well done, finals applause is always special for every corps but was extra special for the Cadets this year. Like most years rooting for the Cadets we just wish they had another week.

35 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Well then start the topic and the explanation of the comment.  Who "bought" what?

"He's still salty" Crown lost their staff 

• Haha 3

I'm not buying the "Cadets got an ovation because of the CRAP they had to endure" at the start of the season.  If that was really the case WHY did the ovation start well before the end of their show?  I stated in another thread that I would have been standing for Cadets for that very reason, BUT prior to finals week I stated I would be standing "because they had become soooo dammmm gooood."

They performed at a higher level each night of the championships and their closer became MAGNIFICENT and most worthy of the thousands of fans I saw standing well before the show was over.  From my seat the most "crowd love" was sent to Bloo, SCV and CADETS....because they were all sooo dammm gooood.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

"He's still salty" Crown lost their staff 

Seems obvious salt for sure...I've been around this activity long enough to know that people don't just move for money...believe that and I have a bridge to sell in Brooklyn...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1