Crowd Love at Finals

1 hour ago, craiga said:

It still baffles me that a few people on here continue to whine about staff moving from corps to corps.  Whether it be for money, staff chemistry, creative freedom (all three in the case of some of the BAC staff), this has been going on for years.  Star of Indiana, anyone?  Also, as I said in another thread somewhere recently, Boston's payroll is still less than BD.  Are our friends from Concord "buying" success as well?

For literally decades, BAC lost staff and members to other corps. Everyone was fine was that.   Like all Boston staff in the 80s, I taught the corps without pay of any kind for 6 years.  It was what we alumni did (gladly) to maintain the corps' survivability.  Now, many of those 80's kids have become extremely successful, both professionally and financially,  and are applying their talents to giving back in a different way...raising funds for the current and future members.  You make it sound like poor Crown is destitute and has no means at their disposal to staff their corps.  Really?

Dude, get over it.

who is "dude"? I think I've missed something... 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, craiga said:

It still baffles me that a few people on here continue to whine about staff moving from corps to corps.  Whether it be for money, staff chemistry, creative freedom (all three in the case of some of the BAC staff),

Add to that list: better treatment and work environment.

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Now, many of those 80's kids have become extremely successful, both professionally and financially,  and are applying their talents to giving back in a different way...raising funds for the current and future members. 

There is also a strong ethos of giving back to help other corps succeed: strong individual corps = strong activity.  Spirit of Atlanta's turnaround is an example.  Boston has been transparent in how they operate and has created a solid business plan to sustain themselves (and the activity).  Huge contrast to other big players who have relied on gaming revenue, which could go away if a law change were made.

My take from the suites on the 50:

SCV - largest and sustained ovation. Everyone was up as they started to move the props together... even before the mello sustain.

Cadets - not one but TWO standing ovations including the thunderous one at the end!

Crown - Also two ovations: end of If I Fall which was a highlight of the night and at the end of the show.

Bloo - I agree with others this is hard to compare because of they way they people react with Blood... but it seemed to be noticeable and genuine. 

I am not saying there were not others but these are the ones that stood out to me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bluzes said:

To the best of my recollection a New England Corps has never won a National title. 

Then using the word "never" fails to consider history that predates your own recollection. 

The Princemen won the VFW senior title five times in the 1940s and 1950s.  In VFW junior competition, Witch City Post of Salem won the national title twice in a row, 1939 and 1940.  Akroyd Post of Marlborough took three American Legion senior titles in the 1930s.

• Like 2