SCV's show was an epic musical fail.

5 hours ago, SWriverstone said:

Sorry ouooga—let's see how the activity is doing in 10 or 20 years. Then tell me if SCV 2018 is marketable. And anytime you'd like to convene a focus group of people on the street and ask them to compare SCV's music to the examples i posted above, I'd be happy to do it with you if we can find funding to do it. Because I'm 100% certain the average person on the street would NOT find this music satisfying to listen to. Sure, they might be impressed with the visuals...but not the music.

Scott

I agree with a lot of your points that you've been bringing up and have no idea why so many posters have resorted to ad hominem attacks against your degree and such. However, I just simply do not think there will ever be enough interest in drum corps again as there was a couple decades ago. 

Times change. Technology has changed our culture. People don't seek out live experiences as often as they used to. Marching band is not going to come back into the mainstream just because corps start to play full length pieces. That's just a highly idealistic and optimistic view. 

5 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Meanwhile, in Santa Clara:

I1iG31t.png

SCV even copies BD's memes, huh? :tongue:

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I agree with a lot of your points that you've been bringing up and have no idea why so many posters have resorted to ad hominem attacks against your degree and such.

I think I explained that,  If anyone with/without a degree comes here and disrespects the MMs in SCV or any MMs I am going to give it to them, every time. What else is SCV besides the marching members who won a world championship. What is this mans motive other than to diminish SCVs accomplishment. Let him throw salt on his wounds elsewhere.

What's the message the same I got in HS quit drum corps get out ahead of the big collapse because he doesn't approve of what the MMs just accomplished.  Is he demeaning anything else besides the MMs? Can anyone say different? Others on here have degrees but don't use them to say drum corps is a horrible thing and should die. If you have not figured it out yet this is a anti-dci thread. I been trying to kill it by being a pest. I am proud of this mans accomplishments but he can pound sand on this point.

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I think I explained that,  If anyone with/without a degree comes here and disrespects the MMs in SCV or any MMs I am going to give it to them, every time. What else is SCV besides the marching members who won a world championship. What is this mans motive other than to diminish SCVs accomplishment. Let him throw salt on his wounds elsewhere.

What's the message the same I got in HS quit drum corps get out ahead of the big collapse because he doesn't approve of what the MMs just accomplished.  Is he demeaning anything else besides the MMs? Can anyone say different? Others on here have degrees but don't use them to say drum corps is a horrible thing and should die. If you have not figured it out yet this is a anti-dci thread. I been trying to kill it by being a pest. I am proud of this mans accomplishments but he can pound sand on this point.

He is Criticizing the arrangements of the show. I'm not sure where he ever attacked the members. If he did, I'll gladly retract my statement 

Just now, Cappybara said:

He is Criticizing the arrangements of the show. I'm not sure where he ever attacked the members. If he did, I'll gladly retract my statement 

Outright attack, no, but it can't feel good coming home from three months of practicing a 13-minute show that was eventually hailed as the world champion among its peers to hear that people are saying what you did was an 'epic musical fail' and placing the justification of that assessment solely on a single music degree from a school that doesn't have any direct link with drum corps. Even the world's greatest cooker of steaks has no right to tell someone their burger that they're proud of is an epic failure, based solely on the fact that the burger doesn't fit into their idea of a perfect steak.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Outright attack, no, but it can't feel good coming home from three months of practicing a 13-minute show that was eventually hailed as the world champion among its peers to hear that people are saying what you did was an 'epic musical fail' and placing the justification of that assessment solely on a single music degree from a school that doesn't have any direct link with drum corps. Even the world's greatest cooker of steaks has no right to tell someone their burger that they're proud of is an epic failure, based solely on the fact that the burger doesn't fit into their idea of a perfect steak.

The difference though is that the person who makes the burger is doing everything every step of the way. The members are performing what was already made for them. 

I get what you're trying to say, but that analogy doesn't really work. 

And I am sure SCV's members are going to take it very seriously that a brand new poster on DCP decided to write a dissertation on why they didn't enjoy the music they were given to perform

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don't see it that way. Is this years arrangements the reason why drum corps will die in the next ten years. When he wants to put the MMs in his little test tube and play them for the man on the street. It not the original arrangers in his little tube it's real live people with feelings. They are not his little toys to do what he wants with to prove an obscure point. 

Edited by Bluzes

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

I don't see it that way. Is this years arrangements the reason why drum corps will die in the next ten years. When he wants to put the MMs in his little test tube and play them for the man on the street. It on the original arrangers in his little tube it's real live people with feelings. They are not his little toys to do what he wants with to prove an obscure point. 

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say so Im going to refrain from responding so I don't accidentally twist your words. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I agree with a lot of your points that you've been bringing up and have no idea why so many posters have resorted to ad hominem attacks against your degree and such.

That's not what an ad hominem attack is.  Other people did not make this about him and his degree, HE made it about him and his degree.  It is not a diversion from his position, it is part of his position.  

One thing that makes the OP so ridiculous is that he pretty much premises his entire argument that SCV's music is an epic musical fail on the assertion that SCV's show is not entertaining to people in general, and that it failed to connect emotionally, all while being surrounded by actual overwhelming evidence that it was popular with drum corps fans, and that the music connected emotionally with a lot of people.  He appears to believe he knows better than we do what we, ourselves, like.  

• Like 3

Just now, Cappybara said:

The difference though is that the person who makes the burger is doing everything every step of the way. The members are performing what was already made for them. 

I get what you're trying to say, but that analogy doesn't really work. 

And I am sure SCV's members are going to take it very seriously that a brand new poster on DCP decided to write a dissertation on why they didn't enjoy the music they were given to perform

Downplaying the hurt doesn't make it ok - I agree most SCV members won't read this and even fewer will really take offense, but that doesn't seem to justify that it's ok to provide that level of hurtful critique to something that so many enjoyed and worked hard to deliver. The words weren't 'bad' or even 'I didn't like it'. The words used were 'epic musical fail.' That's as far away from sugarcoating as you can get before DCP's language filters kick in.

Also I'll concede the analogy isn't 1:1. I had more, but it sounds like you get where I was going anyways.

The poster wrote a dissertation of why what people liked is bad, and continued to say that most drum corps fans are not intelligent enough on the subject matter to know the difference. That's hurtful. That's literally bullying. You can't reason with that, you can't rationalize with that. And in the instances where others (myself included) have tried to at least counter with our own knowledge/degrees, we've received criticism from the same poster. Somehow the OP is an expert in all things, including our own enjoyment and careers, and the original post's only goal was to make us see his light so we can renounce our ways. It'd be like a high school bully making fun of your lunch just because he doesn't like it, or saying you're shirt is ugly because he didn't like it.

There's plenty of ways to say you don't like something without being hurtful or telling people they're flat out wrong. And in the event that you do choose to go down that path, and you use your expertise and education to justify your rationale, it's only fair to concede to the expertise and education of others when they discuss the situation from their point of view. OP opened this conversation disrespectfully, and has kept that trend going throughout.

• Thanks 2